close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

wolf ammo case ruptures

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by toolman, Apr 12, 2002.

1. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

hi guys,been awhile,(i'm a truck driver,don't get to play but a few days a month).have any of you guys exp. any case failures w/wolf ammo? shot 20 rds through my m-44 about a week ago and just noticed that 2 of the cases are split lengthwise along the shoulder. both are about 1/8" long and only extend to crease in shoulder. gun is in excellent,unissued cond. and have shot approx. 100 rds thru it w/no probs.

2. Dennis

Dennis G&G Evangelist

Texas
    Brass cases?Steel cases? How old is the Ammo
    I have seen newer wolf stuff and older wolff stuff
    If worst comes to worst have a good gunsmith do a chamber casting and measure what you got.
    Other than that I wouldnt worry to much about it.
    Occasionaly steel cased and older brass cased ammunition will split at the neck like you described. I have seen older 3006 and 8mm do the same thing.
    Just wach it and stop shooting if it gets worse .
    I doubt it is the gun.

3. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Sometimes the cases do that if they aren't properly annealed. My Swedish Mauser was doing the same thing with Winchester brass. Scared me a little, so I made a quick call to a gunsmith and he said that a certain lot of Winchester 6.5x55 wasn't annealed properly. The necks all split on me, in the same manner as your Wolf ammo did. Try another brand, or a different lot of Wolf ammo. As Dennis said, I also doubt it's your rifle. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

:target:

4. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I've seen this with Russian surplus steel-cased, and with Turk 8mm surplus. As long as it's in the shoulder/neck area, I've been told it's no problem, and of course these cases aren't reloadable anyway, so it's no loss. A case-head rupture is a different matter, and much more serious.

5. toolman

thanks for the input guys,this ammo is 99 production w/the bi-metal cases and i've shot quite a bit of it w/out any probs. so it kind of got my attention,you know? i,ve come to expect neck ruptures shooting the turk 8mm but attributed them to the five-point crimping around the neck,as this is where they always split.i've got a couple more boxes of the wolf,guess i'll shoot it up and see what happens.

6. Is wolf primarily used for bolt action? I know they make all sorts of ammo but is it good to use steel in semi-auto? I heard that the steel case is pretty rough on the weapon causing a lot of wear and tear.

Just bought a like new Russian M 44-- can't wait to fire it. Got it for about $125, still wrapped in the paper.

ltcboy

7. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Itcboy, the AK's and SKS's were designed to use steel-case ammo, so no problem with them. Western guns (AR's, Mini-14/30, etc) may or may not do okay with it. A lot of AR shooters use steel-case with no problems, others experience anything from jams and feed problems to parts breakage. I won't use it in my Bushmaster - just my personal preference. My AK and SKS get a steady diet of Wolf and other steel-case. However, my SKS does prefer good commercial brass-cased ammo for accuracy. My Mosins eat only steel-case.

:assult:

8. toolman

hey itchboy,yeah the wolf ammo shoots real well in the m-44's and it is cheap.the case is copper washed steel so you don't have extraction probs. as with some of the laquered cases.the s&b ammo is also a good choice but a little more expensive.the surplus ammo is mostly good depending on where it comes from(have heard the albanian is junk) but most is corrosive so involves a lot of cleaning.on the other hand the surplus also produces the biggest fireballs,hehehe! keep'em smokin'..toolman