Wood vs Synthetic stock

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Turbolover, May 7, 2008.

1. Turbolover

Turbolover Guest

Are there any significant differences in having a wood, or synthetic stock? I've been looking at the Ruger Hawkeye in both synthetic, and wood stock, as well as the savage 110 in both as well. If anyone can suggest whether the synthetic, or wood would be a better choice. As much as I think wood looks nice. I've also had people tell me that in dry climates it can get dried out, and possibly crack. Plus I figure the synthetic will stand up to more use than wood, is this theory correct? Does wood require much maintenance? Lastly, what do people think of the all-weathers? Any and all information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. It is up to you . . .

. . . . to handle a gun and decide what is "right" for you. No one can just give you a blanket yes or no answer.

If you are worried about a wood stock splitting in a dry climate
    (something almost impossible to occur) all you need to do is remove the finish down to bare wood, apply several coats boiled linseed oil, then periodically treat with a rubbing of boiled linseed oil. Go over the stock with extremely fine steel wool to get a smooth surface. Even in the Sahara desert the stock will outlast your lifetime with no problems.

3. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

The problem is not so much that a wood stock will dry and split, but rather that it will warp with humidity changes, this is why you see the phrase "free-floated barrel". All this means is that the wood in the barrel channel has been removed around the barrel so that it won't contact the barrel if it warps. A synthetic stock is much less prone to warpage.
    A good compromise between good looks and stability is a laminated wood stock. Laminated stocks are made of thin slices of wood with every other slice flipped the opposite direction and then glued together under extremely high pressure. Laminated stocks are very stable and waterproof, but are heavier than a standard wood stock.

4. HAWKEYE50

HAWKEYE50 G&G Newbie

I've found that the caliber influences the stock choice. The bigger the recoil, the heavier the barrel/stock combined weight should be. In my opinion. I've had a Rem.700, in .270 cal. That rifle had a laminated stock, standard taper SS barrel. The lamination process eliminates weather warp, dry or wet. My .300RUM 700 had Remingtons SOLID synthetic stock. I think it's a kevlar offshoot or something. Anyway, it worked well with the floated SS heavy barrel. I couldn't imagine the 300RUM recoil without the heavy barrel and solid stock. I have shot up to 2 boxes prone. Can't do that without the weight.

5. Rattle'em up

Rattle'em up Guest

The Hawkeye comes in the Hogue stock as well,but only in 06 and 270. The barrel is free floated and pillar bedded for $650 stainless or blued. The 270 comes in green and the 06 in brn. Very nice! Check it out. As far as wood stocks go all my rifles have walnut stocks and never had any problems with warping and I live in one of the wettest climates in the south. The synthetics are cheaper to make and saves the manufactures a few bucks per stock. Good walnut is getting hard to find and is more expensive,but don't be fooled a good walnut stock is much stronger and stiffer than what people want you to believe. If a good sealer is applied by the maker warping is almost non existent.

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  6. Ron AKA

Ron AKA Guest

First beauty is in the eye of the beholder. From a performance perspective, whole wood is the least stable. Next is laminated wood. Most stable is full synthetic, or Tupperware or as some may say "Succerware". To be real, there are different types of synthetic and a good fiberglass stock is probably the best there is from a performance point of view.

Ron

7. Wood normally takes recoil better than Tupperware stocks. Wood has been used for along time. Laminates tend to warp easier than solid wood.

8. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

Dammit, when did this start happening? :09:

9. AKHunter

AKHunter G&G Newbie

Eh ? Thats news to me, or least different than what I feel. General opinion of wood vs synthetic where recoil is concerned favors synthetic for reduced felt recoil. The synthetic stock tends to "absorb" or transmit less recoil than the wood as wood normally is stiffer.

For me I prefer synthetic over wood for practical reasons, resistance to changes in humidity, scratch and ding resistance, less maintenance and they generaly are lighter than wood. For appearance I prefer wood, a nice blued gun in a traditional wood stock is as pretty as they come IMO.

10. Billyz

Billyz G&G Newbie

Im gonna go with akh on this one. Sytnetic wont warp but god I love a nice wooden stock.

11. Ferroflame

Ferroflame G&G Newbie

I'm with AKhunter. He seemed to wrap up my oppionion pretty well.

12. Billyz

Billyz G&G Newbie

Im glad im not the only one who cant spell.

13. lorcin25

lorcin25 Guest

One looks tons better. I will give you a hint: It is not plastic.

14. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    also, many cheap synthetic stocks that come on rifles are no where near stable. some will warp worse than poorly sealed wood in a flood.

15. Idaho Dave

Idaho Dave G&G Evangelist

Idaho
    I agree with AKH though I dont necessarily prefer one over the other I own a lot of guns some have wood and some have synthetic. aside from the weight difference, wood being noticable heavier after a few miles of walking, I find them both to be acceptable both have good points and bad. Wood is beautiful for sure specially if it is going to be over the mantel or in the gun safe. but I use my guns a lot and I have seen wood crack, never any of mine, and I have put some dings and scratches in wood stocks. and i have seen some ugly synthetics that should be cracked. as for recoil I have a savage in 300 win mag with a synthetic stock and a rugar in 300 mag with a laminate wood stock I cant tell the difference when shooting them as to one having greater recoil then the other. its a big caliber and both kick pretty good. the rugar is a beautiful weapon with its laminate stalk and ss barrel and action. but the first couple of scratches on that stock made me want to cry, as with any fine wood stock I have used. the Savage is light, looks good in all black, wont scratch or ding very easily and is pretty weather resistant and since most of our big game hunting is done in cold wet climate it definatly has a place. I also have shotguns in both and have not really noticed any recoil differences even shooting 3.5 mag loads. but of course these are just my personal experinces and oppinions

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  16. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

I use both. You've gotta love beautiful wood. But I log LOTS of days afield in the pouring rain. You can't beat a Hogue or HS Precision stock for those days!

17. CroMagnum

CroMagnum Guest

All my hunting rifles wear synthetic stocks and I do like them but....there's nothing like a nice piece of wood with some really nice figure to it. When I lived in the lower 48 all I ever owned were wood stocked rifles and I never had any issues with them but when I moved here I switched because of the sever weather we can get here. I don't think one is any better than the other and leave it all to personal preference. Here's one of my favorites.

Attached Files:

18. killer

killer G&G Newbie

I go with synthetic and continue with them due to not having any shift in bullet placement. The theory being wood can swell and cause pressure points to build
    and shift the bullet (like after a three day rain) from you bringing it in and out of a warm cabin at night.

I simply like black.

I like to keep them oiled well and I think in the long run oil could cause the wood to get a little soft in spots you don't want getting soft.

They're just a tool for me anyway. I would much sooner beat up fiberglass than a beautiful wood stock. My BLR has nice wood on it and I just find myself babying it from scratches. If fiberglass is ever available for it it will lose the wood.

19. Hey guy...I enjoyed the tour around the cabin...What a place to retire someday.
    Mike

20. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

Arkansas
    True plus I've seen some synthetics warp from mild heat, like sunlight.:bigeyes:

They can also compress from recoil to just like porrly cured or selected wood.

The worst have been synthetic stocks for "economy" models from various brands.

However a quality synthetic stock will not give you these problems.