WOOOOOOOW a celestial event

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by PAPA G, Sep 15, 2010.

1. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

about midnight last night i go out on the porch to see what the dogs are barking at....as usual nothing there.

i noticed a very bright light almost directly above. it was very big and bright. it was so awesome. so i come back in and start googling. turns out its Jupiter and that its at its closest to Earth. cool.

2. thats pretty cool, I saw the Northern lights out night before last, havnt seen them since I moved Down to Texas. Was nice to see them again. Tonight as long as its clear Im ganna go out and see if I cant see Jupiter. Thanks for sharing :D

3. srt 10 jimbo

srt 10 jimbo G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I got Mooned by the Prohaska Twins Last year, Denise and Julie. Guess that would be more of a luner event.

5. Thanks for the 'heads up'. We just saw mars closest to Earth, now Jupiter.

6. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

Don't overlook Venus just after sunset. A pair of binoculars might show it in one of the phases it has, like the moon.

7. magicjeep

magicjeep G&G Enthusiast

Last year my wife got me a pretty decent (and expensive) telescope. So far I have missed just about everything I hear about. I couldnt see Mars because it was either raining or cloudy or I was at work. The other thing is I have too figure out where all these things are in the sky. Maybe I'll get to see Venus or Jupiter.

8. cool. i'll have to take a look. a month or two ago we could see mars venus and saturn all at the same time near the moons position in the sky.

9. shop tom

shop tom G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I've been an amateur astronomer for years. I've kind of taken for granted my appreciation of the night sky and have been lacking in my desire to share my knowledge with others. But then again, people wonder about me when I look up and greet my starry friends by name (some of them sound kinda funny.......)

tom

10. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

What ?? You can see the sky at night !! No way !!

11. BigElkCanoe

BigElkCanoe G&G Addict Forum Contributor

Can't see a thing....tornado watch and horizontal rain here.

12. we're fogged in and i still saw it.