Working 1800' Up In The Air

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by blueice, Sep 16, 2010.

1. MosinMan

MosinMan G&G Evangelist

It was hard for me to even watch that. I hate heights.

2. My hands are sweating too. When I was 19, back in 73, I used to change bulbs in those towers, we got from 75 - to 125 a bulb but the highest I ever went was 500 ft. It was good money, and when the wind started blowing prayers were said. Those small climbing pegs he was using are way too small, just think if they were rusty and snapped. Time for a CO-Reg!
    Thanks for the link, that was blast from my past. I got goose bumps!

3. Tigercat200

Tigercat200 G&G Evangelist

In my younger days I worked on the Sears Tower and John Hancock buildings in Chicago walking the I-beams with a six foot torque wrench to check the nuts and bolts. They didn't call it The Windy City for nuthin'. No safety gear either. Those were the days.

4. That is just nauseating. aybe it is just the looking down and seeing how high you are.

5. CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan G&G Enthusiast

Wife: "What was that clanging sound."

Husband (Climber): "Don't worry honey, that's just my giant steel cajones jangling around."

6. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    Nice view from up there!

Easier climbing up than climbing down. LOL

7. CalifgirlinOk

CalifgirlinOk G&G Evangelist

I got dizzy just watching it.:eek:
    You sure won't get me up there even if you paid me a million dollars. NO WAY!!

8. Earl Easter

Earl Easter Pheasant Hunter Forum Contributor

Good Video,Thanks for posting..

My cousin was a painter that painted water towers
    lead paint and all at that time.. Never this high..He is gone now but was a real nut...LOL.
    It was the booze at the end of the day that got him...

Thanks Again I enjoyed it.

9. White Rook

White Rook G&G Evangelist

1800 feet? I don't even like climbing up 18 feet.

10. Tigercat200

The dizziness from watching was probably all the movement your eyes were seeing and you body wasn't moving. Sensory mismatch it's called. One time at a meeting of airshow performers and sponsors in Huntsville we watched a show called "Speed" in the Omnimax at the NASA facility. One segment in particular had a camera in the back seat of a hot rod racing down the twisty highway in California. We were all suffering from motion sickness before it was over and that included world champions. I asked the lady next to me if she was Ok and she said, "As long as that Exit sign doesn't move."

With that being said, NOT ME, JACK!!!! At least, not anymore.

11. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Amazing !! I'm too old to even think about it !!

12. BarryHalls

BarryHalls G&G Evangelist

I don't understand how OSHA allows for free climbing.

13. woody1981

woody1981 Love Your Firearms! Forum Contributor

I had to quit watching it when he began climbing "outside" the cage. I wouldn't take 5 million to do that!

14. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    I was the cadet The Mate always sent aloft to do the tough jobs on the masts of the training ship. He didn't trust many of us to work that far aloft unsupervised. The oddest job I did that way was going aloft at 2 in the morning to change out the running lights on the mainmast; both bulbs had gone out at once. He woke me from a sound sleep for that one!

I also used to scare the daylights out of containership captains by blithely walking along the beams of the container frames to check their security 80 feet above a hard steel deck. Just takes confidence and practice. And the right mindset; all you have to do is remember that a 30 foot drop onto a steel deck will likely kill you just as dead as one from 150 feet up. The only difference is you'll have more time to have your life flash in front of your eyes from the higher height.

15. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

jeez, getting to the base of the antenna and then having to free climb without safety wires over that table base thingy and then climb 60 more feet. Id fall off right about there. Having a nice 55 mile view in every direction must be nice though.

You would think that by now they would have made a safer , easier way to do that.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  16. When I was a kid I used to cimb to the top of 30-40 foot fir tree's free hand. Of course that was before the reason part of my brain had developed.

17. Tigercat200

I've talked to some of the guys working high steel now and they all think the safety gear is just something else to worry about and go wrong. I'm sure it's saved some lives but it does give you something else to get tangled up in. Besides, sometimes you just have to do it. My legs and balance aren't good enough to do this sort of thing anymore. I do miss it though.

18. BarryHalls

BarryHalls G&G Evangelist

I've had to put on one of those harnesses a time or two. They are uncomfortable as heck, but it beats the hell outta falling to your death.

Of course, improperly secured, or used the harness can kill you, but given the same fall, you know the sudden stop would kill you, improperly secured or not.