close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Working a powder load?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by jgang, Mar 31, 2002.

1. jgang

jgang G&G Newbie

I have only used Pyro 50gr pellets in my Austin Halleck. Just for testing, what powder would, those of more knowledge, recommend to work up to the most accurate load. I don't think I need to improve on my 2" groups at 100yds, but could regular powder actually improve her performance? I have also only used the power-belt bullets. Everything is so simple now with the BP inlines. Just a little thought. Thanx jgang

2. vodkazombie

vodkazombie G&G Newbie

I think your 2" groups don't really need improving, sounds like you have a winner there. I get good accuracy out of my TC .50 Hawken with 65 grains of Goex FFFg, using a .10 patched round ball. I use pre-lubed Ox-Yoke patches.

This is what works in that particular rifle. I have a custom made .50 Hawken that likes a thicker patch (.15) with the same diameter ball, and it shoots fine with 80 grains of FFg. I recover most of my patches after shooting to watch the leading pattern. Even if you are shooting sabots and minies, you might learn something about your rifle from observing the way it handles round balls, and the evidence it leaves on the patch.

Now this is a moot point if you are shooting magnum (150 grains FFg) loads..

Remember: If it isn't broke, don't fix it. Stick with what works, because 2" at 100 yards is a helluva nice group.

3. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    kinda glad someone else jumped on this, i couldn't figure out a way to tell the gent he had a good problem to have. if you have some x tra cash, leave that gun for showing off and meat gathering and go find a gun that doesn't shoot so well off the bat and work it up for fun. this way you can learn a lot in the process. glad to hear you have such a good shooti'n rifle.

4. Hey vodkazombie don't you mean a .015 patch?

:spaceship