Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Working up a new load for my .223 wild 16" 1/9 twist AR15. Been shooting a few yotes at 50- to 80 yards on a livestock farmers association contract.
Thing is yotes drop pretty easy,with my current load.
*60 gr sp over 24.8gr H335 ,C.O.A.L- 2.255 and 2830 fps
But I have been seeing a few wild hogs by chance, and was told to take those too. Unless it interferes with the yote thinning.
Seems my load works in killing hogs at 50 to 80 yards, most of the time, but they die a bit slow.
Now my gun loves between 58 and 68 grain pills.
So been working up a new hunting load.
Went out this morning with my boy.
With Sierra Varminter 63 grain SMP (bought 200)
I am at. C.O.A.L- 2.255, H335 25.0 grains and 2840fps
It tightened up real good. I am sure if I had taken my sandbags, and proper targets. I could have been shooting at least a clover leaf.
Think the new load with the slightly higher weight and velocity will channel a little more and allow for a quicker kill when I see a hog, while still giving good accuracy for the yotes?
With the yotes a lot of time, we are aiming at glowing eyes in bushes.
Or should I drop a few more 10ths in there and go for 2950 fps run close to the max limit,and drop some accuracy??
Tell me what you think. I may just listen?:D

·
Premium Member
24,835 Posts
I think your in there. Mid to heavy projectile at a respectable velocity. They are expiring. I think the next step may be to go up in caliber?
A 300 BLK Upper can be obtained for about $350.:usa2:

·
Premium Member
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I may just go up .2 grain, see if it stays within 1.5 inches at 100 yards
A 300 BLK Upper can be obtained for about $350.:usa2:
Thought about that, but the fir is thickening up on the yotes. By end of deer gun season, coyotes may just be worth taking in for hydes. But that will not happen with a 30 caliber hole all the way thru it.
Also, our main purpose is keeping the yotes down for the livestock on 1000 + acre (mostly sheep, and meat goat) farmers.
While it may not be enforced,we are only "allowed" to use .223 or lower caliber rifle and shot gun according to our contract.

·
Premium Member
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
1:7 with 77 grain as fast as you can support it is kinda the next step?

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game
Looks like, but if this works "OK", we will be happy, at least for remainder of this year.
Something about a 68 grain smp, may be in the works for my current set up before I go changing barrels, or uppers.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
28,229 Posts
If you want a real hog stopper buy another upper. Put a .450 Bush Master on your AR-15.
Load the BM with 300 grs bullets. That little AR-15 platform will become nuclear.:D
He’s limited to 223
I’m concerned about a little more velocity slipping down the slope of diminishing returns on performance with current twist rate, projectile weight and powder charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game mobile app

·
Premium Member
24,835 Posts
I may just go up .2 grain, see if it stays within 1.5 inches at 100 yards

Thought about that, but the fir is thickening up on the yotes. By end of deer gun season, coyotes may just be worth taking in for hydes. But that will not happen with a 30 caliber hole all the way thru it.
Also, our main purpose is keeping the yotes down for the livestock on 1000 + acre (mostly sheep, and meat goat) farmers.
While it may not be enforced,we are only "allowed" to use .223 or lower caliber rifle and shot gun according to our contract.
I didn't know you were concerned about the hides, or were restricted on the caliber.:oops:

If it was me shooting them, with those restrictions, I would use the heaviest SP .223 bullet I could get to shoot accurately from my rifle. The velocity would not be as important, in that case. A heavier bullet would punch through the winter hides better.

Reactions: jwrauch and jerry

·
Premium Member
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
what you got now will work.
keep the shots off the shoulders of the larger pigs.
that SMP will work on deer too.
What I had ( the 60 grain sp you had sent me) were great for yotes. Nice quick death, very little damage to hides and spot on accurate. They would dispatch the occasional hog just fine, if I stayed off the shoulder like you said. Just that they seamed to die a bit slow, not a long suffering thing, they just ran a couple yards before they dropped.
Figured that since the game had changed a bit. Also I was running out of those 60g loads. I decided to try something a little faster and heavier. Thanks for the input.

My questions were put in the reloading section to spike the interest in and get thoughts from those that are trying to get a good midway .223 Coyote- Pig round for the AR15.
Also to mine for thoughts and ideas on my current load.
Maybe I should have been clearer in my post?
Thanks guys for the input, sorry if I left room for confusion over what I was getting at.
P.S. My dedicated, go to hog gun is an old Winchester .243 , which I have about 300 custom loaded hog rounds back for. Drops them like a rock every time.:)

·
Premium Member
5,647 Posts
I've had good results with 62 grain Barnes TSX bullets on deer !!

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
now I'm trying to remember which ones I sent.
the problem is I have like 4 different bullets in 58-60gr... LOL.
I think I sent some I made up on 22 LR jackets.
if they are a flat gold color and not a brass brown color then that's what they are, and your running them at the perfect speed.

of course there is the thicker jacketed gold ones I made up with some older RCE jackets and they are tougher than the 22lr ones.
they are made up espressly for yote's and the like.
as you've found the enter and break right up usually without exiting to save the hide.
[which is what I believe I sent you]

the 63gr SMP's are even tougher than those, but not quite as tough as the 65gr SMK's [mainly because of the nose shape, they use the same jacket and core material] but they are usually a bit more accurate in the AR 5.56 and Wylde barrels out to around 200-250yds [the 223 round quits being effective at about 300yds anyway]

that's why I spent the money to have the second die set up to mimic the SMP's.

·
Premium Member
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
@runfiverun ..You sent me a few brass jacket. Like 50 or so. Burnt them up just getting down the basics of reloading .223.
But the ones I have been using for yote', till now,are defiantly copper jacket. You sent me like 200 or so, folded up and stapled in a small thick plastic bag. Along with some 55 grain fmj, packaged the same way.
But they weighed at 60 grain, within a tenth of the brass jackets, and are almost a clone as far as loading, and performance. I figured it was some left over from back in the day you used to buy them.

By the way for those who would want to know.
Our wild hogs are still not very big in numbers. They are a new evasive species for us. Far and few in between.Most of the ones we take are mixed with domestic and are under 200 lbs. I have never saw one over 250lb. No really big boars to speak of. So not a lot of armor to pierce on these little invaders from Indiana. Least not anything like the mammoths they have out West, and in Tennessee.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts