Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This week I retrieved my trail cam at a new location. It's public land that borders private at a fence line. It caught a new buck everyday at this point where they jump the fence.
I plane to hunt it this week or the next from a tree stand. My buddy suggested putting out some apples to keep them there.
I'm worried about leaving more scent but this is only my second year hunting blacktail and I have never baited. What would you do, is there any benefit?

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Better, check your local laws. In Ohio if you get caught baiting public land for deer, they take your gun and suspend your hunting and fishing licence for two years, minimum.

If it is legal.
IMO. Putting a strange Item in a well traveled path will just put the big bucks on alert. Most baiting is done at least a month or so in advance and continued on a regular sceduale. So the deer gets used to the bait, and knows where and when to come get it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This week I retrieved my trail cam at a new location. It's public land that borders private at a fence line. It caught a new buck everyday at this point where they jump the fence.
I plane to hunt it this week or the next from a tree stand. My buddy suggested putting out some apples to keep them there.
I'm worried about leaving more scent but this is only my second year hunting blacktail and I have never baited. What would you do, is there any benefit?
Follow local laws , if you decide to bait it with apples wear rubber boots in and out also rubber gloves when handling the apples. Apples are deer candy and I have never seen a deer spook off of them.

·
Registered
595 Posts
IMOA, no need to bait the area if the deer are using it anyway. You've found a travel corridor deer are using without anything there to lure them in, get upwind and stay away from the spot. When you need to recover your deer drag it away to field dress it. The spot could be used year after year.

·
Registered
10,485 Posts
the only good some bait does in an already used travel corridor is to hopefully slow them down a little so you can get a better shot. but like said a couple posts ago, sometimes newly appearing bait will spook them instead of enticing them. I have seen this happen a couple times.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I, am not a fan if baiting. Bating, should be called, Ambushing. It is in no way follow, the rules of fair chase. Fair Chase, is some thing we do not speak of any more. I, am 74. Back in the days before baiting, we did our home work. Many deer were taken. IMHO, bating chepens hunting. Did you really earn that deer.

·
Registered
595 Posts
IMOA, no need to bait the area if the deer are using it anyway. You've found a travel corridor deer are using without anything there to lure them in, get upwind and stay away from the spot. When you need to recover your deer drag it away to field dress it. The spot could be used year after year.
Ooops, change upwind to get downwind of the area.

·
Super Moderator
11,838 Posts
This is simply my opinion on hunting. As kids we all admired Crocket for his hunting skills, although we never really saw him hunt. Tree stands and baiting sucks the fun out of actually learning to "hunt" by using your skill of terrain, wind, sun direction and so forth. I know a persons deer count goes up when they hunt from a stand occupied an hour before first light that sits on a known deer trail.......but that "ain't huntin"

·
Registered
107 Posts
This is simply my opinion on hunting. As kids we all admired Crocket for his hunting skills, although we never really saw him hunt. Tree stands and baiting sucks the fun out of actually learning to "hunt" by using your skill of terrain, wind, sun direction and so forth. I know a persons deer count goes up when they hunt from a stand occupied an hour before first light that sits on a known deer trail.......but that "ain't huntin"
Well said

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
I understand what you are saying and where I live tree stand hunting or ground blind hunting isn't common. However with that said, the population in this nation is as such that doesn't allow everyone to spot and stalk hunt. In the midwest, south, and eastern parts of the country there isn't a whole lot of land for people to hunt. Most of the land is either private or owned by a business/corporation. What BLM land that is available has an abundance of people all trying to hunt it.

When I lived in Indiana I was lucky enough to hunt on a friends 400acre farm and when I was with my Uncle we could hunt his friends property as well that was bordered on three sides by BLM land. On my friends farm there was 40-50 acres that wasn't farmable because of the ravines and woods. Spot and stalk there and you chased everything out of the woods in short order. A tree stand or ground blind was what you had to use.
My Uncle's friend's property we could do a little spotting and stalking because it was nothing but trees and all the BLM land.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I, am not a fan if baiting. Bating, should be called, Ambushing. It is in no way follow, the rules of fair chase. Fair Chase, is some thing we do not speak of any more. I, am 74. Back in the days before baiting, we did our home work. Many deer were taken. IMHO, bating chepens hunting. Did you really earn that deer.
Until you lose your mobility, then hunting like the Infantryman I once was is not an option. A whole generation of hunters have no clue what it is like to sneak along the bottoms and crawl to a ridge line and glass over and over, for days, until you catch a big buck in his bed and shoot him in his sleep. I did that for nearly 50 years, then lost my mobility. I killed 3 Boone and Crockett muleys that way, one in Colorado and two in Wyoming. They had no clue I had crawled into their bedding area.

I never hunted tree stands except with a bow, seemed like a cheating way to hunt. Kind of like shooting quail on the ground, true sportsmen do not do that. Then I became disabled, only able to walk a few hundred yards, then sit and wait. I still did not like to hunt from above and had killed close to 100 deer before I ever shot one from an elevated stand. Now I have killed about a dozen from an elevated stand, all old bucks, and all tasted quite good. The one last year was 8 years old they said. So, I finally came around to hunting from elevated stands, makes it much easier.

And then there is doe hunting. When young I was happy to shoot a big doe, as long as there were no yearlings with her. Where I live we see young bow hunter brag about killing 3-4 deer per year, turns out they are fawns or 15 month old deer., still running with their mother. You hear them say, I saw three does, a big one and two smaller, so they shoot one of the smaller ones, truth is they killed one that still had not left it's mother, not much pride in killing the young ones. They will dress about 70-85 pounds. A big deer here will dress 150-180 pounds, so shooting the young does just did not seem like real hunting. And as you know, until a deer is in their second year, they will just stand and gawk, easy to kill. I have not killed a doe since 1991, and have no intention of shooting one, unless it is the last day of season and the freezer has little or no venison. I have no problem with young hunters or people in need of food killing the babies or young deer. I do believe that if you simply let that doe go until she is 3-4 years old, she will have produced 2-3 fawns and she will provide nearly twice the boned meat as one only 12-15 months, just conservation. I once worked for a wildlife department and frequently heard we need to reduce the deer population, as a means to justify shooting the babies. That is bogus and will argue with any biologist, you can reduce the population by killing the old ones, just the same as killing the babies. Most people who claim they are performing a service by shooting baby deer and full of BS, shoot the old one who are going to die anyway.

Last shooting over feeders. I have always opposed it. When a feeder goes off and deer come running from 1/2 mile away, that is not hunting, it is harvesting. No problem, again shoot the old ones and do not brag about your hunting skills, that is not hunting, once again, it is harvesting. I have never shot one at a feeder. We put feeders on our lease to draw the does, the does draw the bucks. The ranch next to us had several feeders along the fence, if we did not have them, the deer would all stay over there. Sad but true.

So, if it is legal where you are, your choice. Personally, as I said, I put out feed/corn to draw the does in hope a buck comes my way. And I never shoot them at the feeder, at least not yet. When I get to where I cannot walk, then I will gladly do so. It is a personal decision. Not my position to judge, I just give my opinion, and that is it.

Your choice, make a decision and do not apologize if you are OK with it. I have come home without a deer before, it happens. With feeders you should be able to kill every year, usually in one day. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
945 Posts
i agree with ranger. i am 86 and cant walk very far. out here in the flatlands of ks iv learned to shoot far . if i can drive to within 100 yds of the deer i use a winch on the back of my pickup and 100+ yds of mule tape to drag and load . bad back!!
100 yards of winching? Wow. I have had 11 procedures on my back, upper, lower, neck, etc. None of them work, pain pills do not help. That said, I am not sitting home waiting to die during deer season. At least not yet. I am nearly 74, so salutes to you.

I have a 4 x 4 with a rack on the back. If my buddies have tagged out they come and help me load. If not then I have to figure a way to get the deer up. I have a winch on the front of the 4 x 4 but often just use a come-a-long. Drag the deer up to the trailer, load the 4 x 4, then use a come-a-long to load the deer behind the 4 x 4. A lot of work as these last few years the deer dressed are 160-182 pounds. I was once a power lifter and had no problem loading a 200 pound deer, today, I cannot lift more than about 30 -40 pounds due to a dozen locations of back problems. That said, I get one or two every year.

Or we could just sit home and slowly die. Nope, not during deer season. My deer last year was 282 yards and he ran about another 40-50, I had to get the 4 wheeler just to get to him. lol

I think we define sporting within the limitations of the hunter. We all just have to make our own way and enjoy the hunt as long as we can. Kudos to you sir.

·
Registered
49 Posts
100 yards of winching? Wow. I have had 11 procedures on my back, upper, lower, neck, etc. None of them work, pain pills do not help. That said, I am not sitting home waiting to die during deer season. At least not yet. I am nearly 74, so salutes to you.

I have a 4 x 4 with a rack on the back. If my buddies have tagged out they come and help me load. If not then I have to figure a way to get the deer up. I have a winch on the front of the 4 x 4 but often just use a come-a-long. Drag the deer up to the trailer, load the 4 x 4, then use a come-a-long to load the deer behind the 4 x 4. A lot of work as these last few years the deer dressed are 160-182 pounds. I was once a power lifter and had no problem loading a 200 pound deer, today, I cannot lift more than about 30 -40 pounds due to a dozen locations of back problems. That said, I get one or two every year.

Or we could just sit home and slowly die. Nope, not during deer season. My deer last year was 282 yards and he ran about another 40-50, I had to get the 4 wheeler just to get to him. lol

I think we define sporting within the limitations of the hunter. We all just have to make our own way and enjoy the hunt as long as we can. Kudos to you sir.
i feel for you about the back pain. the winch is a little 2500 lb. mounted in a truck tool box and anchored to the tiedowns . and a set of ramps .never lift!! also use a pulley and rope on the meat hook . just drive forward and up it goes. also skin down the hind legs , bundle some skin and tail with a loop of mule tape and drive forward. skinned in a min and no strain. old men work smart not hard.

·
Registered
945 Posts
i feel for you about the back pain. the winch is a little 2500 lb. mounted in a truck tool box and anchored to the tiedowns . and a set of ramps .never lift!! also use a pulley and rope on the meat hook . just drive forward and up it goes. also skin down the hind legs , bundle some skin and tail with a loop of mule tape and drive forward. skinned in a min and no strain. old men work smart not hard.
You reminded me of a project. I have a 30 year old portable winch, I think 15000 pounds. It only needs a cord and connection. It is the type you could mount or just hang off of a trailer hitch or anything solid. I have a little 4 x 8 trailer that I take hunting, had it for 40 years. My project is to mount it on the front of the trailer so I could just drag the deer up into the trailer without any lifting at all. My back is so bad I cannot even lift half a deer that 19 inches. Got to find the wiring and get that done, deer season is only a month away. Talked to the doc today, looks like at least two surgeries down the road. Gonna put them off another 4 years as I have already. LOL

1 - 20 of 23 Posts