Gun and Game Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

· Registered
112 Posts
Follow local laws , if you decide to bait it with apples wear rubber boots in and out also rubber gloves when handling the apples. Apples are deer candy and I have never seen a deer spook off of them.
My wife gives the cotton tails that frequent our yard apples and it seems, so far, that there is not an animal around that doesn't delight in the apple. Squirrels, Blue Jay's, opposum and anything else comes for them. Stupid squirrels bury them from time to time. Hell, I even nip at them when she cuts them up.

· Registered
112 Posts
100 yards of winching? Wow. I have had 11 procedures on my back, upper, lower, neck, etc. None of them work, pain pills do not help. That said, I am not sitting home waiting to die during deer season. At least not yet. I am nearly 74, so salutes to you.

I have a 4 x 4 with a rack on the back. If my buddies have tagged out they come and help me load. If not then I have to figure a way to get the deer up. I have a winch on the front of the 4 x 4 but often just use a come-a-long. Drag the deer up to the trailer, load the 4 x 4, then use a come-a-long to load the deer behind the 4 x 4. A lot of work as these last few years the deer dressed are 160-182 pounds. I was once a power lifter and had no problem loading a 200 pound deer, today, I cannot lift more than about 30 -40 pounds due to a dozen locations of back problems. That said, I get one or two every year.

Or we could just sit home and slowly die. Nope, not during deer season. My deer last year was 282 yards and he ran about another 40-50, I had to get the 4 wheeler just to get to him. lol

I think we define sporting within the limitations of the hunter. We all just have to make our own way and enjoy the hunt as long as we can. Kudos to you sir.
Look into Kratom. It's the ground up leaf of a tree that grows in Indonesia and Thailand. It's mildly addictive, but in a whole 'nother league from prescribable opiates as that is concerned. It doesn't make pain go away, but it darn sure takes the edge off. I broke both of my heels a little while back. I am in construction and can't not work. It makes it all possible. It doesn't make you all spacey like pills do either. If it interests you, talk to me about dosage as it's important to have a complete picture. I have been taking the same amount for a few years now and it works as well as it always has.

Don't believe the negative stiff you will find on the internet as the pharma industry doesn't like natural things taking money from their pockets and runs hit pieces all the time. I highly recommend it as an alternative. My wife also uses it for a spinal (Chiari) malformation, (cerebellum herniated into the spinal cord) and it dramatically increases her quality of life as well. Don't go into it blind. Knowledge is what makes it work for different individuals.

· Registered
1,253 Posts
Look into Kratom. It's the ground up leaf of a tree that grows in Indonesia and Thailand. It's mildly addictive, but in a whole 'nother league from prescribable opiates as that is concerned. It doesn't make pain go away, but it darn sure takes the edge off. I broke both of my heels a little while back. I am in construction and can't not work. It makes it all possible. It doesn't make you all spacey like pills do either. If it interests you, talk to me about dosage as it's important to have a complete picture. I have been taking the same amount for a few years now and it works as well as it always has.

Don't believe the negative stiff you will find on the internet as the pharma industry doesn't like natural things taking money from their pockets and runs hit pieces all the time. I highly recommend it as an alternative. My wife also uses it for a spinal (Chiari) malformation, (cerebellum herniated into the spinal cord) and it dramatically increases her quality of life as well. Don't go into it blind. Knowledge is what makes it work for different individuals.
I did look into it but found several reasons not to try it. I have been treated by a pain management program through the VA and also by two private pain management centers who are both affiliated with large hospitals . I have a broken back among other things, a bilateral pars defect causing severe stenosis in the lower back. I have 8 damaged vertebrae in the upper back and neck, and I have congenital stenosis all up and down my back. So it is a constant deal.

They will not treat anyone who uses Kraton or medical marijuana for that reason. I have actually done extensive research on it and my conclusion is that it affects the stress or mental side of pain, but has no action to do anything to directly affect the pain. The result is, it helps -people deal with the stress of the pain and not the pain itself. The same affect that you get from acupuncture, I went twice weekly for nearly 5 months. It works for people with minor aches and pains but not debilitating pain.

They are trying to ban it here in Oklahoma, but have not gotten there. I think it is now illegal in 5 states and even some counties in Florida and California. They report overdoses from it, but really I think those who OD when using it all have been high on something else at the time, so like most overdoses, it is never just one thing. I will ask them again my next visit. I think as to the guys on the verge of suicide, nothing should be off limits. No reason why a society should make people suffer, IMHO.

I feel for your broken heels, I cannot imagine how two would be. A couple years ago I broke a foot and ankle and while they were healing, I slipped in the shower and shattered the heel on the same foot. took about 3 months for that to heal.

Anyway thanks, I will check again. It has been about 2 years..

I have asked the VA pain expert about it and he said it was not good for anything but short term relief. As you know, sometimes any relief is a great thing.

hos ep

21 - 23 of 23 Posts