Would you clean a rifle if you were going to sell it?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Capt'n Mil Coll, May 14, 2008.

Would you clean a firearm before selling it?

1. Yes

94 vote(s)
    97.9%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  1. This is pretty simple. If you were going to sell a firearm would you take the time to clean it before you tried to sell it?

2. turner

turner Guest

Absolutely! I'd at least want the new owner to get a favorable first impression. I don't think I'd ever sell a firearm with problems to anyone without fully disclosing whatever it was and along with that, I'd want it to look as good as possible.

3. soulracer

soulracer Guest

Definitely..you wouldn't sell a dirty car, would you.? You want a person to see it at its best and know that you take pride in your guns and take care of them. It'd let the person know they are buying a quality piece..Now, if you are just selling to your brother or something that is a different story..let him do the work himself..

4. Midas

Midas Chief Troll B' Gone Forum Contributor

I would want it to look as presentable as possible.

5. ghost_raven

ghost_raven G&G Evangelist

If its overall condition was something to be proud of, absolutely.

6. rondog

rondog G&G Evangelist

I won a rifle in a raffle at a bar once. They'd had the thing hanging up on wires behind the bar, and when I went to pick it up they hadn't cleaned it at all, just gave it to me in the box. It was all covered with dust, burger grease, and fly specks. I thought that was pretty tacky, this was a brand-new rifle. Seems like it was a Remington 7400 30-06 autoloader, I had to sell it to a friend for badly-needed cash. Never got to shoot it.

7. I most certainly would. But trust me, I've seen plenty that didn't bother with it, including some in dealers shops. Needless to say, I didn't buy. I figure if they don't take the time to clean it, they don't need my business as their customer service would more then likely be just as bad?

If it's a private individual, well it's more than likely either not knowing any better, not caring or just plain ignorance. lol

8. For all the above reason's I would clean the gun and I would hope I could get "more" for it.
    From it being clean...A.H

9. mosquitofish

mosquitofish Guest

YES, this goes with out question!!

10. I've never sold a dirty one.
    I couldn't count the number I've looked at at gunshops/shows that were dirty. In fact when it comes time to dicker on the price I take my time to clean it into consideration.

11. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I would clean it at home,but on the range or in the field I couldnt.As to buying dirty rifles,I have bought many in shops and from indivuals that were filthy.It is wearpoints and cosmetic condition that usually count when buying and if they are dirty it proves the owner doesnt really like the gun and will come down on price,sometimes way down.I have made many good deals this way and dont ever remember loosing on a deal.If they are too lazy to clean a gun,I am not for a good deal. sam.

12. I would . . .

disassemble it, clean it, oil it, touch up the stock where I could, polish the stock, touch up bluing where I could, and so on.

13. patrick70

patrick70 G&G Addict

+1

14. Windwalker

Windwalker G&G Newbie

Yes, I would clean it.

15. squirrelblaster

squirrelblaster G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

i would, it seems almost irresponsible not to.......

16. yes i would i would clean it becouse my colts (the young horse) that i sell are always brushed nice and i have to have them riding good so if you had to try and sell it to them it would work alot better if you cleaned it up.

17. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

i clean up anything i sell.
    come to think of it.
    i clean up things i GIVE away!:09: