Would you sell a Mini 30 to buy a 2nd Garand?

Discussion in 'M1 Garand' started by Laufer, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Laufer

Laufer G&G Enthusiast

The nice wood/stainless Mini is only used to blast plastic jugs and grapefruits in the river, from 50 feet to 50 yards. I've not yet hunted, despite my age.

The Garand has been at home about a week, and is the coolest rifle (object) I Will Ever Own.

What attracts me to the Mini is not just the same classic US styling, but the cheap ammo, and is sort of like having a Garand which is much more economical to 'rapid fire'. On the other hand, my SKS uses the same Wolf and Monarch.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  2. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

I dont think I would....1 Nice Heavy Garand is enough !

3. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

What kind of price you asking?

4. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

Depends on a lot of variables. If you are looking to add to your WW2 vintage collection and as investment. DEFINITELY sell the mini 30. They are still making mini 30s, they ain't making any more Garands! The Garand is a much better investment and in my humble opinion a heck of a lot more fun!

Plus by selling the mini you should be able to get enough cash for a nice service grade and a spam of ammo. The spam will give you enough brass to get you started in reloading for the Garand. Reloading puts the price of shooting the Garand down to the price of x39 ammo. Garands also draw gawkers at the range. Black rifles and Minis do not do that. JMHO

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  5. M14man

M14man I don't take prisoners... Forum Contributor

I would prefer a second Garand over the mini. The mini just isn't thought of well in most circles.

6. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

All things being equal, the Garand has the best opportunity to appreciate in value, and there is still some surplus 30-06 ammo around. The Mini-30s are fun and reasonably inexpensive to shoot though so it would't be an easy call.

So probably it would be best if you told me where I can buy the Garand, and then tell me what you would consider to be a reasonable offer on your Mini 30.:shysmile:

7. Orlando

Orlando G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    Never cared for the mini so yes personally I would sell it to get another Garand

8. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

I would sell just about any other gun I own for a Garand. But I don't already have another.

9. A no-brainer for me. If I had a Mini-30 and needed a Garand the Ruger would be gone in a New York minute.

10. roverboy

roverboy G&G Enthusiast

If I had a Mini, I'd sell it to buy another Garand. Like Gandog said I'd sell almost every other Mil-surp I own to buy another Garand. I have one Mil-Surp that I would never replace with a Garand.

11. texnmidwest

OK, I don't mean to hijack the thread but....

Would you sell a Savage 99R in 300 savage excellent condition with vintage scope (drilled at factory) to buy a Garand.

12. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Evangelist

+1

Michael

13. Stock Doc

Stock Doc G&G Evangelist

NO, as it has its own rights as a collector. I own a 99T and love it and would never sell it for a Garand. But I can see others selling it with no desire for it. It is all in how someones taste have come about over the years. I grew up with old timers that I hunted with and most have been dead for 30 years. This caused me to have a Love for the old rifles. Rick B

14. texnmidwest

That is exactly why I own my Savage. The patriarch of my hunting group hunted with a 99. He was the life of the hunt and I loved being around him. His stories kept us all laughing. Now, his grandson has his rifle. I can not look at my Savage with out thinking of the pleasant times I had hunting with him.

Don't know what I was thinking.....

15. roverboy

roverboy G&G Enthusiast

Texnmidwest, no I wouldn't sell the 99. Sounds like a keeper to me.

16. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    "Would you sell a Mini 30 to buy a 2nd Garand?"

In a heartbeat!!!

17. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

Tex, Tex, Tex, What are they putting in the water up there son? We need to get you home quick 'fore your brain melts away completely! :D
    Springfield Armory

18. Orlando

Orlando G&G Evangelist

Ohio

Springfield Inc stopped making Garands several years ago. Besides thats only a Garand wanna be