close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

WOW! Just discovered boresnakes

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Cyclops, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Cyclops

Cyclops G&G Newbie

WOW! :right: On the advise of a friend, I bought a boresnake for use on my 22lr firearms. Gotta get me one for all my calibers now! :cheer:

2. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    Yep! they are awesome. I think they are the greatest gadget ever devised to help a hunter/shooter become even more lazy. If you shoot lead rounds in your gun the snake also does a great job of removing the led build up. IMHO only, I believe a snake and a can of WD-40 is the easiest/best way to clean a barrel. Glad you found it Cyclops. Good Shooting!

3. Never, ever, ever use WD-40 in a confined space such as a pistol barrel. It breaks down too easily and invites corrosion. In my life time the only thing I have seen WD-40 successfully used for is a doorstop if you buy a case at a time.
    Boresnakes are beautiful. A little solvent on the brush, a good gun oil by the loop and your set for a quick cleaning at the range. e sure to do a thorough cleaning at home, though.

4. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    what's the bestway to clean 'em when they get cruddy? can you throw them in the wash, or dishpan?
    Gotta admit 40 isn't the best, but never really seen it do any actual damage. I'd think environmental conditions and such would be a factor as well.

5. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

What's up with WD-40 ? is it because it's water based or flammable ? or both...I know people who use brake cleaner to clean their guns...I use products designed for firearms...my guns are worth the good stuff

6. GARY D

GARY D G&G Newbie

I have been using Ballistol for a few years now and it is truly great stuff. It even cleans black powder and wood and it won't poison you. :nod: German made.

7. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Love the snake

I love the snakes as well. I use one on my SKS and pistols...never mix and match corrisve ammo guns with new ones (I always assume com block ammo to be corrisive so my Mosin Snake dont tuch my Marlin). I love WD-40 Especialy for my black powder and Mosin-Nagants or other corrosive ammo guns...before I leave the range I hose them down (I read about doing this on a black powder disscussion board) to keep them safe until I can clean them THAT night. Funny how we use only cirten stuff on certin guns (Bore Butter for black powder) Hot Soap/water for C&R and Black powder toys and Hopps for the newer stuff....wounder what they did before hopps and bore butter.

Oh cleaning them. For the snakes and bore mops I wash them in soapy water in a bowl if they are realy bad..espeicaly black powder mopps...sulfer stinks when wet/warm...then toss them in the washer with some work type towles...I let them air dry outside...be carful with red shop rags...I still got some pink mops :)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2002
  8. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

WD-40 is not water based.

9. WD--Water Displacement. Break Free--CLP works well also.

10. MarkII 22

MarkII 22 G&G Newbie

I always just used brake clener

11. jerry

USA
    theres a lot of good stuff out there, I like break free. Brake cleaner is good for degreasing and blowing out junk form actions, cheaper than the comercial stuff mad for that.

12. Cyclops

Cyclops G&G Newbie

My new & improved cleaning kit includes: patches, Break Free, Militec, Hoppes, brushes, and boresnakes in several calibers.

13. jerry

USA
    Love the smell of Hoppes in the morning!

14. Couple of clowns workin' for US use to use a lot of WD-40 (I think they owned stock or somethin'). We were test firing the M119A1 105mm howitzer at Yuma. Gun kept getting misfires. I told them to take the WD-40 from those two and make them use CLP (Break-Free). Sure enough, it cured the problem. Seems between the WD-40 breaking down because of the heat (both ambient air temp and temp from firing), the powder residue, and the sand, the firing pin was gunked up and wouldn't hit the primer hard enough to set the round off.
    I toss my snakes in the washer by themselves, set it on low load, and wash them. Hang them on nails to dry.