Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Just thought I'd give you a heads up - this is my first post on the forum, and I'm also pretty new to the whole gun scene, so forgive me if I'm mistakenly breaking any unwritten rules or customs that you have on this forum. With that said, I'll get to explaining my problem as best I can given my somewhat limited gun knowledge.

A couple of months ago, I bought my first gun which is an AK47 WASR10. I bought it used at a gun shop - military surplus. I'd only fired a couple magazines through it in the desert and such since the time I bought it, and yesterday I decided to finally bring it to the range. The first thing I noticed was that it seemed to be loading weird. When I'd pull back on the handle and release, the bolt carrier didn't seem to slam forward all the way, but instead left a little gap between the charging handle and the part of the receiver where it would normally rest. I'd have to slam this forward, and then it would fire. I got a couple of magazines through it with no major problems, but on the 3rd or 4th (30 round mags,) it jammed. The casing AND the bullet would be lodged in so tight that I couldn't even pull back on the charging handle. Luckily, with the help of a mallet, and also removing the return spring, I was able to hammer back the charging handle and retrieve the jammed bullet. I switched ammo, switched mags (another 30 round,) tried again, and it jammed again.

I have to admit that it's pretty confusing and frustrating, especially seeing as how it's my first gun, and AK47s are said to be so incredibly reliable. I have taken the thing pretty well apart, and actually had a friend who knows what he's doing help me replace the front and back stock. Is it possible that I messed something up reassembling it? Apart from that, the only other thing I can think of is that it looks like the primer on the spent casings are being hit a lot harder than they should be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Try cleaning the chamber really good - like with a wire bore brush. If person before you had been shooting lots of lacquer coated ammo, the chamber could be really cruded up. Also, make sure you got everything lined up right when you reassembled the rifle. AK's are pretty simple, can't be that much wrong. I wouldn't get too worried. I bet a really good cleaning will fix your problem.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Welcome Herman! I would also feel around inside the chamber for a bur or such.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the warm welcome and advice, guys. I actually did clean it pretty thoroughly after I'd shot it the last time, but I'll give it another try. I don't get to the range all that often, so the only thing I had to do with it for a while was take it apart, clean it, stare at it, etc.

What exactly could be aligned wrong on it? The bolt? Those are kind of loose fitting, and it threw me off the first time I took it apart, but I've had my friend look at it and he seemed to think it was ok. In any case, thanks for the advice.

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,216 Posts
I've had 10 AK's...currently have a milled Bulgarian SLR101S that has never jammed in 5,000 rds.

The only AK that I've had jam was a WASR.

·
Premium Member
30,668 Posts
IVE GOT A WASR WITH ABOUT 3500 .
NO JAMS

·
Registered
198 Posts
You might check the alignment of your gas piston. WASR's aren't known for their quality. It may be dragging heavily to one side or the other of your gas tube which might explain why it's not going fully into battery or why it is difficult to extract.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Welcome to G&G! Take a look at the fired cases and see if there are any drag\scrape marks on the casings. Also, does the bolt close correctly without a round in the chamber?

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
HEY Herman WELCOME to GUN and GAME feller I have'nt had any Jams either because I don't own one :09:
Thanks for Joining and hope to see you around ...A.H

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had some pictures of it ready for you guys, but my camera decided to crap out (one of those days,) so I'll just have to do my best to explain it. My friend did replace the front stock on the gun, which also required removing the gas tube and putting it back in. When he put the new fore grip (is that the right term?) it was a little bit crooked, but he said that since the gas tube is in correctly, that shouldn't matter. He's pretty smart about guns, so I trust him on that.

The bolt does close all the way when there are no rounds in it. I don't think extracting the spent shells is the problem, as the bullet never leaves the casing. The whole thing just gets stuck in there and makes it impossible to pull the charging handle. I had a picture of a spent case. Other people were telling me it looks like it's getting hit harder than it needs to, but I can't really back that up seeing as how I'm no expert...yet. Like I said, I tried to get pictures but that unfortunately didn't work out. That's pretty much it, although when I first got to the range and I had the problem with the bolt, I did pull the charging handle more than once, causing it to eject bullets that were still good. I'm not sure that that caused the jam, though, because it did fire fine for a while after that. It jams when there are still bullets in the mag.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Hey,

I thought I'd tell you all that there's a new development in this story. I had my dad take a look at it, and it appears that the piston is bent. There's what looks to be a stress fracture about a quarter of an inch from where the piston goes into the bolt carrier, and it causes the piston to be bent very very slightly to one side. What do you all think - is this the problem?

·
Premium Member
30,668 Posts
get another piston

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Yep, that sounds like yer problem! You should be able to find a piston pretty cheap and easy. The big question is not if it that is the problem - it is. The big question is why and how did it get bent. If your buddy stepped on it while changing out the hand guards, then you are good to go with a new piston. But if a misalignment is causing the piston to torque when fired and caused the piston to bend, then you are wasting money with the new piston. Century is not know for their outstanding quality control!! I would determine the cause before getting further into the gun money wise. Just my 2 cents - Good Luck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks, Silver! I called the store I bought it from and spoke with a gun smith, and he was trying to tell me that the piston probably was not the problem, and he thinks that the chamber is just gunked up. I'm assuming that by the "chamber," he means the gas chamber, right? Anyway, I think I agree with you on this one. It has to be the piston, but I will definitely look into it and see what bent it. I mean, I'm sure it's a very old gun, so it's definitely possible that the person who owned it before me did something to it, but I guess we'll see.

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The bolt carrier is fine - it's just the piston as far as I can tell. And to be honest, it's extremely hard for me to tell even that the piston is bent. I had my dad take a look at it, and he could tell right away, but was a mechanic for a while so I think he's better at spotting these kinds of things than I am.

By the way, does anyone know a good, reliable website I could order a piston from? Somewhere quick as well, as the last site I looked at said 8 - 12 business days for processing, then another 8 - 12 just for it to get here.

Thanks a lot.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts