Wow, now this is Badass & I want one ...

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by gsbuickman, Dec 16, 2018.

1. gsbuickman

gsbuickman G&G Evangelist

I hate to say it but Mosin carbines don't have anything on the Fireballs rolling out of this cartridge. This kinda reminds me of Robocop shooting his Auto9 @ the range when all the other cop stopped shooting to watch the Fireballs roll out of that thing. With that being said I would love to have one of these things Just for kicks but probably the 1911 version, how about everybody else ? :) ..

2. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Oh man, that would be sweet...

gsbuickman and PAPA G like this.

3. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    Thanks, but I think I'll stick with 7.62x25 Tokarev.

4. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

meh..
    try 35-40grs of powder in a 4" barreled revolver.
    you get 2 fireballs.

5. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    Me too.

6. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

The only reason I know of for huge fireballs is all the powder is not burning in the barrel. Huge fireball means the powder is inefficient and wasted, since any burning outside the barrel means it is no longer pushing the bullet, as the bullet starts slowing down immediately after exiting the barrel. So the bigger the fireball, the more of the powder is being wasted. Big fireballs are NOT something you wish to see.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  7. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    It’s cool. My fear is that they had to create an obscure cartridge on top of an obscure cartridge to fit the 9mm frame double stack.

I’d feel a lot more comfortable with it if the guns that fire it were able to be converted back to a standard cartridge.

Kind of like the .45 GAP. Cool but not prevalent so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game

8. Jaison

Jaison G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

They have conversion kits for the pistols. It was designed to be a training round for 1911 platforms, as well.

jerry, gsbuickman and PAPA G like this.
  9. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

I do not know anybody that owns a .45 GAP. It is like somebody just said what totally useless cartridge can I invent today? Now I kind of like a .22 bullet getting whipped out at warp factor 9, but I always end up asking myself what exactly what is it good for? Now if the footpounds way downrange beat the tar out out of a standard 9mm, maybe I could justify getting one.

PAPA G and gsbuickman like this.
  10. jerry

USA
    Sooch said is was an awesome range toy ;)

PAPA G and gsbuickman like this.
  11. gsbuickman

gsbuickman G&G Evangelist

I understand that and in most cases I would agree with you Ganny, however in this instance things are a bit different. Now you have a .244 projectile doing Mach 2 with its hair on fire (@ 2000fps) out of a 4" barrel + a purdy' light show :) . What's not to like about that ?.

The TCM may not be the most efficient useful cartridge out there but I bet it makes for one hell of a fun range toy. One of the rounds creators referred to it as a micro Magnum, and that's exactly what it reminds me of. A belted Magnum because it relies on brute horsepower to Get'R done :) . It seems to me that if you want a TCM to have fun with at the range you need one of their conversion Barrel handguns like this 1911 TCM that I'm pondering picking up here locally. It has 2 barrels for 9mm & 22 TCM so it can be both a fun range toy and efficient and useful, and at $500 compared to all the other 1911's on the local gun Grapevine, that's a pretty **** good deal.

8499050_01_armscor_tcm_1911_ms_22tcm_9mm__640.jpg

goat roper, jerry and Jaison like this.
  12. I posted something about the .22 TCM about a year ago !...........

gsbuickman likes this.
  13. jerry

USA
    How does the whole 2 fire ball thing work?

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game mobile app

swedesrus and gsbuickman like this.
  14. Actually you get THREE !................

15. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

you get more than that with a ported barrel.
    jump ahead to the 1 minute mark.
    then add in a cylinder gap...
    oh and use another 4 grains of AA-1680 and not the wimpy load of H-110 he is using.

gsbuickman likes this.
  16. winston64

winston64 G&G Evangelist

They come in a kit with the nine barrel and recoil spring. That little 40g pill leaves the barrel at better than 2000 FPS. I have the rifle and it drops hogs dead in their tracks, albeit the ammo is pricey for a 22.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game mobile app

Jaison, jerry and gsbuickman like this.
  17. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

Well, since that gun is a clone of a CZ model and is similar to the FiveSeven and the Tok...you could get a CZ52.

gsbuickman likes this.
  18. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

We have one dude who ordered some GAP ammo from us. Some fancy-pants new round came out for it and he just wanted to se if he could test them, and then replicate them.

gsbuickman likes this.
  19. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

The NY State Police, PA State Police, Florida Highway Patrol, Georgia Highway Patrol and South Carolina Highway Patrol all used the .45 GAP and many other smaller agencies used it.

It was designed by Speer and basically allowed you to have a .45 caliber round that was smaller to allow you to fit it into a smaller framed gun, thus making it easier to shoot for a wider range of people.

The PA State Police ditched it in 2013 and went to .45ACP.
    The Georgia Highway Patrol ditched it in 2014 and went to 9mm.
    The South Carolina Highway Patrol ditched in 2017 and went to 9mm.
    The NY State Police ditched it this year and went to .45ACP.

The ammo was ballistically effective and did it's purpose well but after the great ammo shortages of 2013 and price increases, while a lot of manufactures make it, it was still hard to get as compared to 9mm or .45, that and some other reasons, lots of people who adopted it just went with the over all trend in LE nationally to get rid of it (or the .40SW) and go back to either 9mm or .45 ACP.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    Palladin8, jerry and gsbuickman like this.