wrapping a handle with rope / string?

Discussion in 'Knives/Cutlery' started by petrol, Aug 24, 2010.

1. petrol

petrol G&G Enthusiast

I picked up a little hatchet / hammer / crowbar combo a few weeks ago and the rubber handle is kind of loose. I though about dipping it in that rubber stuff but maybe winding rope or string would be better. thing is I have no idea how to go about it. is it glued in place or is there some crazy knot work involved. I can post a picture if that would help.
    Thanks.

2. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

Got a picture?

Another thing that would work, is simple.
    Remove existing cover.
    Wrap tightly with 550 cord. (parachute cord)
    And then tape tightly, with hockey tape.

3. petrol

petrol G&G Enthusiast

so this is the tool. it seems like a pretty useful thing (esp for $6.99) but the rubber handle cover is kind of loose. I have some para cord and I thought about using some tennis racket tape (or hockey tape), but I kind of like the look of the 'string' wound handle. (my dad give me filet knife when I was a kid that had a string wound handle. any advice is greatly appreciated (as is instruction).

Attached Files:

• axe.jpg
      axe.jpg
      File size:
      381.2 KB
      Views:
  4. grizcty

I have a book, "somewhere".
    That shows the proper way of making 5-50 handles.
    Will have to look for it.
    Another thing that would be easy to do.
    Is drill two holes, through the handle and ax.
    And rivet it in, then wrap it.
    As your gonna want some weight to it.

5. grizcty

You KNOW, I am gonna ask this. :yup:

Is that weapon, LEGAL in California? :rambo:

LOL

6. If no one has posted a link or picture by tonight I can take a few shots of the very basic way I know, its looks halfway decent and if you wrap it nice and tight you should be okay since the handle looks to have nice handy grooves in it. Barring that some grip tape underneath the cord would be fine too.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  7. chesterwin

chesterwin G&G Evangelist

Lay your string or cord with a loop at the top of the handle and the loose end and wrapping bulk at the bottom. Tightly wrap up the handle. When the wrap gets where you want it near the top pass the remaining bulk through the loop. Pull the loose end at the bottom and it will pull the bulk end under the wrapping. When the bulk end is about halfway to the bottom trim the loose end and bulk end and presto. Wrapped handle.

8. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Evangelist

MO
    ^^^ That's how I did mine about 20 years ago and it's still wrapped. Sort of doing a hangman's loop on your handle.
    If you like the rubber feel then dip it in Performix Plasti Dip...let it dry thoroughly and dip it again until you get the feel that you want.

BTW, I used the above wrapping technique on a broken high cap magazine for my Ruger 10/22 worked great. I didn't dip it though...lol

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  9. Dragunov

Dragunov G&G Evangelist

You can use a "fly tie" knot. Sorry, no pics. I use it to lash arrowheads, tie fish hooks, hammer handles, lash the ends of shoestrings and ropes, etc.

10. Romey

Romey G&G Enthusiast

You can do alot of different style wraps with 550 cord and pulling the guts out leaving you with the sheath of the cord. helps to get it to lay flat.