Gun and Game Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a fine rifle that I'm letting go for purposes of financial strategy. Pics will be up soon as I can get them together, but at least interested parties can get the ball rolling.

This is a Savage 111G Hunter bolt action rifle chambered for 300 Remington Ultra Magnum. It has a 26" barrel and a wood stock with checkering and a factory rubber buttpad. It is one of the only 300 RUM chambered rifles with open sites. Savage no longer offers this rifle in this configuration. Before I had a scope, I shot the neck of a pop bottle with them and found them very easy to use. I am not including a scope for a variety of reasons, one of which is that everyone has their own preferences and if I were buying I'd trust a used rifle a lot more than used optics.

What's good and bad about it? Pretty much typical Savage. Excellent accuracy, bar none. This is pre-accutrigger so the trigger is crisp but not really light, but not bad either. Action works pretty smooth for a Savage, but it's still a Savage. The magazine loading and feeding is a little bit rough, which again is very typical for Savages. I think the magazine is only supposed to hold two rounds, since when I put in three it doesn't feed very well. I have endeavored to improve the feeding by tweaking the magazine under direction by my gunsmith, but no noticeable improvements have been made (nor disimprovements thankfully.)

Condition - If I had to pull a number out of thin air, I'd call this 80% or "good." (conditions above this include "great, excellent, LNIB (Like New In Box), and ANIB (As New In Box, = preowned but unused).) Fired under 60 rounds; 40 factory Remington, the rest conservative reloads on once fired brass. Only stock gouge I can remember is on the front end of the butt where the bolt hit when I was removing it. The rest is scuffed at worst. Forward region of barrel was somehow splashed inside at an unknown point in time, and small patches of rust have appeared. It has since been fired as accurately as ever.

Package includes - Rifle in described condition with see thru scope rings, the same rings that have held my scope (not included) when shooting MOA, which for me is dang good and I'm sure the rifle can do better.

Price: $350 INCLUDES shipping and insurance to your FFL of choice. Offers will be considered IF you can support them with numbers, ie links to competition, etc, with appropriate factors considered. Since this is for financial strategy, I'm not looking for lowball offers. So again, please offer substantiating information for any alternate offers.

The ONLY partial trades I will possibly consider are:
7.62x39mm ammo below current prices
Bersa 380 Thunder Magazines
7.62x39mm chamber reamers
30-06 rifle barrels, cheap, must have a certain minimum barrel diameter (will get back to you if you have one to offer)
36"+ bed metal turning lathe
Which not many of you probably have so this probably means no trades.

Located in western PA to consider shipping costs and local interests.

Thanks all! As I said before, pics are upcoming, but anyone interested please let me know.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sent you an E-mail per your PM, didn't hear back. Perhaps this will get through? Can resend E-mail upon your confirmation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.