Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any accurate records, if at all, on tracing the serial number on a bayonet?
Initially I imagine it was matched with the rifle's serial number or was that a partial number?4256 seems awfully low of a serial number.
This is a Garand bayonet so no telling.
Automotive tire Headgear Hat Font Tints and shades

Serial number above and ordnance stamp below
Grey Font Material property Gadget Tints and shades

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I got a feeling this is something from whatever country these Bayonets are coming back in from; like Korea, Greece or maybe Itlay.
This one a bought off of eBay and no clue as to where it came from before.

Premium Member
Are there any accurate records, if at all, on tracing the serial number on a bayonet?
Initially I imagine it was matched with the rifle's serial number or was that a partial number?4256 seems awfully low of a serial number.
This is a Garand bayonet so no telling. View attachment 170151
Serial number above and ordnance stamp below View attachment 170152
The ENS over the flaming ball is Greece

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thank you, I nearly forgot about them.
Now I recall that some Garands were being brought back from Greece starting when? 15+ years ago?
I guess the Bayonets sans sheaths are finally showing up on eBay etc.

Oh, I took a longer break from trimming brass and looked into when and why the Garands and accessories went to Greece....Greek Civil War with commies. Good it may have been properly blooded then.馃憤

Premium Member
I believe Greece had thousands of our M1 Garands they borrowed and supposed to be returned to the USA. I think Obama stopped them from being imported here as he hated guns. I know many Bayonets were imported though.

Premium Member
CMP brought in a bunch.
But yeah when O'bummer got in I can see him having done that.
Particularly the ones that may have been used to plant communists.
Yep ED , CMP was supposed to get all of them when returned back to the US Government. It was thousands of M1 Garands and M1 Carbines also. I also have noticed RTI has been getting many of them selling them the past couple months. {Royal Tiger Imports} They are high priced though and I never bought any rifles from them. Also not refurbed but in average to bad condition as they are imported stacked in piles on pallets.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh good grief!

Well from what I've read and understand those rifles had a very long and rough service life.
And not always the best maintenance and repair either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts