WWII Forgotten Battlefield

Discussion in 'General Military' started by mouser868, May 27, 2020.

1. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

Ever since the first time I saw Das Boot (and played the PC game), I have been fascinated with U-boats.
    As tough as our guys were, I might even venture the U-boat guys were tougher.

I've toured several U.S. WWII subs and even at 6'5 I can get through much of them without ducking. The hatches are small, but the trick is to get momentum and swing foot-first. I got to tour a 1:1 Hollywood mockup of a U-boat, and I had to fold myself over to get around, and the hatches were so small I had to crawl through like a hamster - and this thing had had chunks removed to be able to fit camera equipment, meaning the real thing was even more cramped.

Several years ago I toured the U.S.S. Drum in Mobile and one of the guys on the tour was a WWII German sub veteran. This guy, too, kept marveling about all the "space".

EtherialOne, neophyte and Huey Rider like this.

2. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

mouser868: Sir; NC Coastline; from Virginia to Wilmington!
    Their wasn't much there.
    Frying Pan Shoals; extending miles offshore of Wilmington
    The Gulf and Atlantic convergence off Hatteras
    During any storm. This place rocks n rolls big time

https://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/explorations/16battlefield/background/edu/purpose.html

The purpose of this expedition is to explore a World War II (WWII) maritime battlefield from the Battle of the Atlantic 35-40 miles off the coast of North Carolina to characterize archaeological and natural resources.

Following America‘s entry into WWII, German U-boat raiders attacked U.S. merchant ships off the east coast of the United States, sinking hundreds of vessels between January and July of 1942 in what is now known as the American theatre of the Battle of the Atlantic.

On the morning of July 14, 1942, 19 U.S. ships in convoy KS-520 left port in Virginia and sailed south. The next day, on July 15, just after 4:00 pm, German Submarine U-576 attacked the convoy off Cape Hatteras, North Carolina, immediately sinking one merchant ship and severely damaging two more before the submarine itself sunk in a counter attack moments later. This battle represents one of the most historically significant naval engagements of the Battle of the Atlantic off America’s shore, marking the end of U-boats as a significant threat on the East Coast.

jwrauch likes this.
  3. Kellen

Kellen G&G Evangelist

Good post mouser. I got to see a German U-Boat up close on a visit to the Deutsches Museum in Munich. Wouldn't have wanted to be them...

On the other coastline, the Japanese Navy attacked Oregon and its dearth of population during those years. At least three attacks on Oregon, and I believe the only ones that actually hit US soil in the lower 48.
    -- One was an aerial bombardment over Brookings near the California border (the only aerial bombardment in history on continental US?); no damage to speak of.
    -- Weather-type balloons carrying bombs that flew from the Japanese mainland with the jet stream and landed in Oregon, one that eventually killed a pregnant mother and her kids.
    -- A submarine attack on Fort Stevens at the mouth of the Columbia River, no damage to speak of.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    Huey Rider and neophyte like this.
  4. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

Interesting reading for sure. Got the book U-Boats Destroyed by Paul Kemp. Gives the boats locations when sunk. Near me off Rhode Island lies U-853 sunk May 6, 1945. Popular wreck for divers in fact. It was a Type IXC boat. CO name was Fromsdorf.

neophyte likes this.
  5. Stickman

Stickman Less well known member Forum Contributor

I was told once that the Intra-coastal Waterway was built because of the U-boat threat. Can anyone verify this?

6. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

I don't know, but I do know the Germans were really interested in getting a sub up the Mississippi River, and even got pretty close:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_submarine_U-166_(1941)

Huey Rider and Stickman like this.
  7. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Stickman: Sir; it's an interesting study.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Intracoastal-Waterway

The Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway serves ports from Boston to Key West, Fla. The route is linked by several essential man-made canals, including the Cape Cod, Chesapeake and Delaware, and Chesapeake-Albemarle. The lowest controlling depth is 6.1 feet (1.9 m) in the Dismal Swamp Canal of Virginia and North Carolina. During World War II, the route became important as a means of avoiding the submarine menace along the coast. Commercial traffic (oceangoing vessels and barges) serves the heavily concentrated industrial areas north of Norfolk, Va; whereas, to the south, the waterway accommodates mainly pleasure craft traveling to the Florida resort areas.

The Gulf Intracoastal Waterway serves ports for more than 1,100 miles (1,800 km) between Brownsville, Texas, and Apalachee Bay, Fla. It lies mainly behind barrier beaches and provides a 150-foot-wide, 12-foot-deep channel. At its eastern end, the waterway is not directly connected with its Atlantic counterpart, except via the open waters of the Gulf of Mexico and the 6-foot-deep Okeechobee Waterway in southern Florida. The heaviest commercial activity is centred at New Orleans and extends eastward to the Black Warrior–Tombigbee river system at Mobile Bay, Ala., and westward to the major Texas ports. The Plaquemine–Morgan City Waterway provides direct connection west of New Orleans with the extensive Mississippi River valley system of inland waterways, and the Harvey Lock at New Orleans furnishes a direct entrance to the Mississippi River. Part of the Gulf route at New Orleans consists of the Inner Harbor Navigation Canal, an artificial waterway that is the axis of a major industrial district. Among the principal items moved on the route are petroleum and its products, industrial chemicals, pipe and other supplies for the oil fields, and sulfur.

Huey Rider, mauser9 and Stickman like this.
  8. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

U-boats had some easy pickens here in 42 with the coast line lit up like a Xmas tree. Think the germans called it Operation Drumbeat. Love that flick Das Boot.

Huey Rider and neophyte like this.
  9. Waffen-1933

Waffen-1933 G&G Enthusiast

We got a uboat wreck off coast of my state. Rhode island

mauser9 and neophyte like this.