Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I know this is a springfield forum but I have a question. I am considering a new 2008 xd 40s&w for ccw with the new thumb safey on it I want to carry the gun in my pocket without a holster, I am also considering a glock 27 but it does not have the safety which gun do you guys think is the better gun for me to carry? thank.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
In your pocket without a holster?... Neither.

I own a G27 and carried it without a holster in my waistband/small-of-back, but without a round in the chamber. Worked quite well, but I knew that I'd be screwed if something happened quickly and I needed to shoot NOW. I now carry in a Blackhawk SERPA CQC holster and CC and OC regularly.

If you intend on carrying with a round in the chamber, I highly suggest a holster. There are holsters out there specifically designed for use in your pocket and there are pistols specifically designed to fit in a pocket; referred to as "pocket pistols" oddly enough. :wink1:

Even with the safety on with the XD, the trigger's uncovered and that's asking for an accident such as the safety being bumped off if you run into something or just sit down and the firearm shifts. Also, neither the XD nor the G27 will properly conceal in a pocket (unless you really want everyone to know you are "concealing" a gun in your pocket). I'd suggest checking out something like the Kel-Tec P3AT or the Bersa Thunder .380 then check out a holster such as these:
Kel-Tec Pocket/Wallet Holster
Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters

Now, that all said, I think you need to think about why you need to carry in your pocket and not in a hip or shoulder holster. I mean, I conceal with that SERPA outside-the-waistband holster with only a light, un-bottoned, button-down overshirt and no one is the wiser. You might consider taking a CC class, as you may find that you can conceal a lot better with a gun that fits you better in a way other than in your pocket.

·
Registered
8 Posts
ok...with the thumb, trigger, and grip safety there is a very minute chance of it goin off accidentally...btw i do recommend the XD over glock any day...but sayin that...about the accidental fire in ur pocket...i do not recommend in pocket without holster...its not due to an accident...its the chance of ur sight or something to that matter gettin caught on loose cloth or lint clogging your barrel. Just a thought. Get a pocket holster

·
Banned
10,852 Posts
I wouldn't carry anything in my pocket without a holster to start with but for your question, XD for sure. I just picked up an XD Subcompact .40 yesterday as a carry gun. I also liked the Glock and the S&W M&P but neither of those have a safety. I believe a gun without a safety is an unsafe gun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts