Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at an XD Springfield to buy. Can some of you owners give me an update on how you like them. Most likely the caliber will be a .40.

Thanks,
Indy

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Don't have a Spring XD myself, but I have a Steyr and have been led to believe they are of similar quality. Differences include shape and features. I may buy an XD Tactical if I decide I want a fullsize 40.

I have heard nothing bad and everything good about them. Though I'll take a Steyr over practically anything any day for comfort, features, and value, an XD is a very good polymer pistol. Unless you're spoiled by HK or Steyr, I doubt you'll be disappointed. I would say with a bit of confidence that they are superior to the Glocks.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Indy...last Fri. night I held a Springfield XD 40 in my hand over at Cabela's. I was impressed with how it felt. Haven't fired one, though. It was lightweight, smaller than a 1911A ACP, and was priced at $429.99. It had a 3" barrel and held 9 rounds. I 'm seriously considering it as my CCW. :right:

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I bought one in march in 9mm. I'm truely impressed with it. I would buy another in a heart beat. I would bet my life on mine.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the information. I am leaning toward the springfield, but some of the CZs feel good in ones hand. I have never had a CZ either.
Indy

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,193 Posts
I want one of the green XD's...look good next to my green SLR101S! :cool:

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I have the XD-40. One of the best pistols I have every shoot. I also own a .40 Glock 23C. If I had to pick between them, the XD would win hands down!

The XD has a 1911 grip angle that fits me great. It also has the grip safety for a little added security over a Glock, but it is still ready to fire when you pick it up. It shoots decent groups, but I admit it is not match quality. Wasn’t meant to be – It was designed to be tough and dependable which mine has been. It also has the attachment rail on the bottom. I just bought a Streamlight M3 to go on the bottom of mine. It is awesome! That little light is scary bright!

Mine is the black on black model. If you can find one with the green frame, you better get it. I couldn’t find one when I bought mine. I LOOKED! Of course that was when they first came out, they may be more readily available now – not sure.

Buy IT. You won’t regret it! GREAT gun!!
:nod:

·
FREE CITIZEN
2,089 Posts
Good clone fer sure !!

:assult: :assult: :assult: :assult:

It's a Glock Clone, I had the oportunity to check both side by side and it's a clone of the well prooven Glock Design, minor changes here and there, but essentially the same stryker firing design.

It can't be bad, my glock works great and had never let me down!!

The XD is is a licensed copy from a croatian pistol, I think it's the HS 2000 (if I not misspelled the model) which is a glock based pistol.

I don't know why people talk so much BS about Glocks, and then rank high Glock clones.

To my knowledge, XD is a great pistol based in a great design with some minor improovements.

:uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi:

·
Registered
201 Posts
I love my XD9 and it is 100% reliable. Though I wouldn't call it a Glock clone. More of a mixture of several pistols. Glocks are DA and the XD is a SA. The XD trigger feels better to me though the Glock has a better reset. The XD has larger rails which are forward and Glock has smaller rails, both fore and aft. The XD breaks down like a Sig versus a Glock and has a grip angle more like a CZ.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have been considering the XD too, and from the sound of it, it seems as though most (if not all) people are pleased. This will be my first handgun, however, and I am curious whether you would recommend getting a .40SW or the 9mm. Mostly it will be for target shooting, possibly IPSC. Recommendations ?

·
FREE CITIZEN
2,089 Posts
:assult: :assult: :assult: :assult: :assult:

Target shooting:

9mm = less recoil = more accuracy.

For target shooting, concealibity isn't an issue so get the full size gun !!

:full: :full: :full: :full: :full:

·
Registered
201 Posts
I agree with Mandy, the 9mm has less recoil which would be good for a first time handgunner. Also the 9mm ammo is a good bit cheaper then .40S&W. I usally buy my 9mm for $10 for 100 rounds and my .40S&W for about $15 for 100 rounds. You can also find 9mm cheaper then what I'm getting it for if you have a Bass Pro or Academy around you.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree with the comments about a first handgun. If the weapon is to be used for target shooting either would be ok, but the 9mm is comfortable to fire and cheaper as mentioned. If the weapon is to be used for self defense or both target and self defense the 9 is better. Now, I shoot everything from 22s through some extremely potent TCs, and a self defense handgun is only as good as you can shoot it accurately. Remember when you are in a self defense situation, your stomach will tighten, a lump will form in your throat, your palms will perspire, and you hand may shake. Being able to fire accurately and confidently is a life saving propostion.
Indy

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Indy...I finally forked over enough cash to buy the Springfield XD Sub Compact in 9mm, and love it. :right: Took it target shooting two weeks ago and it was great. Admittedly, I need a lot more target practice but that will happen before I complete my qualifications for the Missouri CCW license. The trigger action was very smooth, as it is incorporated with a safety device. Sighting it at the target was quick and easy, and the grips felt good in my hand. I had no complaint except not getting to shoot a whole lot more.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Guys yesterday I sprung for a XD/40. It has a black frame with a stainless slide. I shot it out back a couple of times and it was impressive. If things work out I may go to the range tomorrow. I opted for the stainless slide due to reading comments of finish wear on the parked/blacked ones. One other owner complained about the finish wearing off due to a Fobus type holster. Of course, I am not sure what all the circumstances are, but I thought stainless to be safe. I did look for a green frame, but it was not to be.
Indy

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Good choice. My Fobus has been kinda rough on my XD as well. As soon as I can afford a nice leather one that Fobus is history!

·
Registered
10 Posts
The XD really isn't a glock clone. The took the HS from croatia and made some improvements base on Glock, H&K USP, and Sig P226.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts