close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Yard Mowing Time Is Upon US

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by TNPIRATE, Apr 1, 2017.

1. TNPIRATE

TNPIRATE Yo Ho Ho And A Bottle Of Rum Forum Contributor

My dad was/is fussy about the yard. When I was a kid mowin the yard, dad wanted it cross cut.
    Of course dad was a Pastor and we lived at the parsonage at the church.

austinjoe13 likes this.
  2. I really, really, really need to get out and cut the grass. It's rained at some point almost every day for the last week, but before I can cut it, it's got to dry out. Toes crossed it stays dry tonight so I can get out there and do it in the morning, otherwise I'm going to need to rent a couple of sheep to get it cut down.

TNPIRATE, Cyrano and PAPA G like this.

3. I'm so darn proud of myself! I got out this morning and got the hayfield cut so it looks like a lawn again. Glad I did it early, too. It was 73° when I started and it's 79° now.

4. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

When I was a kid, Mom and Dad each had their own reel-type Briggs & Stratton lawn mowers. You started them by wrapping a rope with a toggle on the end around a spool and yanking. As soon as I was able to yank hard enough on the rope to get the motor to start, Dad had me take over from Mom. The only fancy option on those mowers was a knob on the end of a shaft. Pull it out, and it disengaged the blades and the chain drive that propelled it. Push it in, and off the mower would go, and you had better be hanging onto the handles when it did! Dad would do the front yard, and I'd do the back yard. When I got bigger, I had to do the whole thing.

Dad resisted the rotary mowers for a long, long time. I think I was in junior high when he finally retired the reel types. He salvaged like half a dozen of the rotary types the mechanically inept put out for trash pickup and put together three or four that worked out of six that didn't. He had one made for Sears that had an inertial starter I was very fond of. It didn't have a pull cord. It had a crank that you unfolded and cranked to wind up the starter. When it stopped cranking, you folded it back over and pushed down sharply. This released the tension on the spring and it spun the engine over. It hurt a lot less than yanking the starter cord on other models.

One of those salvaged mowers, he set up as a brush hog. I used to use it to mow down the undergrowth on the Cape property. You had to treat it with respect, but it was a fine machine.

But in my twenties, I developed an allergy to freshly mown grass; it has something to do with the sap that gets liberated, the doctors tell me. All it takes is one good lungful of air from a field or a lawn that's been mowed in the last 30 to 45 minutes, and my sinuses slam shut and ache like fury. Back when we had a lawn, I had to mow it with at least a painter's filter mask on or I'd be good for nothing for a couple of hours when I was done. (I preferred a real US GI gas mask, but the neighbors looked at me really funny when I used it.)

This has more than a little to do with the fact we ripped out all the grass except for one strip by the road, and laid down gravel and put in raised flower beds all over the property.

TNPIRATE likes this.
  5. Trust me, my allergies fire off, too. But I've gotten smart about it. I take a couple of benedryl about 45 minutes before I head out. My sinuses don't back up and if I get stung or bug bitten it doesn't bother me.

Growing up we had a BIG self propelled mower that I had to muscle around the yard. Thankfully I only had to do the front and 2 small patches in the back because of the maple trees. I hated cutting that grass. The yard sloped on 2 sides, one of them sloped to the driveway and stopped on top of a stone wall. Not easy to cut at all.

Now I've got a riding mower to cut the grass. I flatly refuse to push mow over an acre. I've done it, I'd cut part of it, the Hubby would do part and we'd swap in and out over the 2 days it would take to get it done. It takes about an hour to do it all and I'm done for 5-6 days depending on how much rain we get.

Cyrano and TNPIRATE like this.
  6. TNPIRATE

TNPIRATE Yo Ho Ho And A Bottle Of Rum Forum Contributor

WARNING WILL ROBINSON, WORNING WILL ROBINSON. We have a storm rolling thru Tennessee tonight:D

7. Huey Rider

Huey Rider G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Those old reel mowers cut the grass a lot nicer than the rotary types. The reel mowers actually "cut" the grass, the rotary types "rip" it which actually damages the blade of grass.

TNPIRATE and Jaison like this.