Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Devil's Advocate >:)
7,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Concealed handgun license in the mail. w00t! and hellllllllz yeah!!!!!

ps Knightrider did yours come in yet? heh heh heh

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Hehe, congrats and welcome to the 'club'. :wink1:

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
There's a saying - having a gun and thinking you're armed is like having a guitar and thinking you're a musician.

Carry humbly and develop true confidence through practice on the range.

·
7,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There's a saying - having a gun and thinking you're armed is like having a guitar and thinking you're a musician.

Carry humbly and develop true confidence through practice on the range.
True, my gun is kinda too big for me to conceal. I'm just glad that if I get pulled over and happen to have my gun with me that I'm protected under law for having it. I speed a lot...:hitwithrock:

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Klaus, a veteran G&G member, at times carried a DE concealed. Possibly a BFR as well. Your HK Mark 23 or longslide 1911 would be nothing.

·
Ahh..Cordite.
911 Posts
In Arizona as long as the firearm is legal, you can carry any weapon and as many as you want..

I could conceal my Ak, shotgun, Mauser and all of my handguns and a few knives and be totally legal..I might be a little heavy..but you never know who you'll run into at 7-11

·
Registered
93 Posts
Congrats, TexasT,

Here in Tennessee, it's just a carry permit, doesn't have to be concealed, though a lot of the LEOs here rather you keep it concealed so they're not continually getting "man with a gun" calls. I carry almost always, even at home, and carried openly a few times, but have come to think it's better to have surprise on my side and also to not become a "first priority" target.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Congrats Tex T and I agree with Dr Boom Boom...It is assureing when your at a convenence store filling up and some boyz from the hood come draggen up. lol

·
Registered
978 Posts
True, my gun is kinda too big for me to conceal. I'm just glad that if I get pulled over and happen to have my gun with me that I'm protected under law for having it. I speed a lot...:hitwithrock:
If I were pulled over I would still keep the gun concealed. I keep the Ruger Mk II on the seat next to me under a denim jacket. Not all law enforcement officers like concealed carry. You may be irritating the officer by having it, and get a ticket where you may have gotten away with a warning. Of course, if the officer asked if I had a gun or if anything was under the jacket I'd fess right up!

What do others do? Hand him/her the CCW with the license or keep mum?

·
Registered
978 Posts
I'm not sure if that's the case, here. I go to a restaurant with my wife for lunch occasionally, where the local police (not my hometown) look at my fanny pack. They never ask, and I do not volunteer. However, it may be different if you are under their control, such as a traffic stop. I know a lawyer whose specialty is gun law. I can ask him next time I see him. State laws probably differ.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I can only speak for me, but as a law enforcement officer for the last 10 years, I would feel MUCH more comfortable on a traffic stop, if either:

A) You tell me up front you are armed and explain you have a ccw or
b) You have the weapon in plain view with the action open and the magazine out of the weapon on the passenger seat

Usually I will keep you in the car and place the firearm outside of the car, unloaded, on the trunk) ,temporarily until I am finished with my stop.

I have to consider 2 things. First, my main job is to go home at the end of the shift and second, most lawabiding citizens that carry concealed are good people who understand where I am coming from.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Congrats TexT. I Have a question, I am still looking for my perfect concealed carry weapon, but I would like to go ahead and get my CCW just for the sake of having it already and because i transport weapons a lot and I like to be covered. I Have a Ruger MKII .22 pistol, technically couldn't I take the class with this gun? Thank you for your insight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I love my Warthog for CC best. Stainless, good capacity,.45ACP, small,light,reliable and accurate. Ability to carry cocked and locked.Proven caliber,proven action,what more could I ask. My 2 cents,Rick.

I have been in position to show the CCL several times,even out of my home state and have never been dis-armed by any of the LEO's and in fact were relieved to not have to worry about you any further and were most respectful. In my opinion any officer who would dis-arm you after presenting your valid CCL and you are not in the commision of any offense is a little over zealous. You would not be in possession of a CCL if you had not been thoroughly checked out and are not a threat to his/her saftey. In fact most LEO's I know are comforted by CCL's as possible back-up if needed.

·
7,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't think it matters what type of pistol you take your CCW with. Most people in my class had 9mm or .40. I don't remember anybody with a .45 but I could be wrong. Just remember to take the test with an semi automatic so you can carry both semi auto and revolver.

·
Registered
25 Posts
rbelligerent - maybe I am a little overzealous, but I AM going home EVERY NIGHT, and I agree with you, I do take comfort in the fact that a ccw carrier could be some very welcome back up.

Hayseed

1 - 20 of 44 Posts