close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Yellow jacket nests in the ground

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by jwrauch, Sep 12, 2017.

1. dhermesc

dhermesc G&G Evangelist

Ever want to have some fun ride a horse over a nest of yellow jackets. I did that when I was 12 years old. The old nag that hadn't bucked once in 20 years lit off like he was auditioning for the PRCA and left me in the dust - rolling across the very same nest.

Yeah - good times. With an hour walk back home to get my arse ripped by my dad for letting the horse wonder around saddled.......

MoDoc, Jaison, jwrauch and 1 other person like this.
  2. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

SEMO
    I've always been told that tobacco will take the bite out of a sting. I didn't use it of course....I'm too manly for that!

Jaison likes this.

3. richardw

richardw G&G Evangelist

I know for a fact that raccoons will dig up yellow jacket nests and eat the wasps. I found out when my cat got out of the house one night and headed into a heavily wooded area about 50 yards from my house. I pocketed my 380, grabbed a flashlight, and headed for the area. The wooded area has a rapid moving stream running through it and so has a population of foxes and raccoons. I did not want the cat to have to fight it out with either.

I knew the cat waould come home on her own. She always does, but she usually runs off in the daytime before the night predators look for a meal. So I went into the woods more to scare off any foxes or raccoons than to catch the cat. When she gets out and I look for her, once I get close, she runs home.

As I looked around I found a raccoon that had dug into the grouand and was eating yellow jackets. Those who know raccoons realize they they do not scare off easily. It just stayed in place and ate the insects. I have no idea how they manage getting stung repeatedly, but they do.

Well the cat appeared, seeming curious about the scene, and she started for home. I did too.

Searched the Internet on the topic and s found that skunks and raccoons are yellow jacket nest raiders. Happy to report we have no skunks in our woods, yet. So I think a skunk or raccoon did the work in question.

jwrauch, ncnascarlady and Cyrano like this.
  4. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland

5. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    Yeah I learned the hard way back in high school days. I worked at a local golf course cutting grass. One day I was cutting the grass with a gang mower in the long fairway. Ran over a nest in the ground. Like magic they unloaded chasing me. I remember explaining it to my boss. He asked me to show him where they were. They dropped some kind of poison in the deep hole. It killed them before they got out. Sure what ever it was is illegal to use today.

jwrauch and Jaison like this.
  6. I put out poison bait early spring and every fall
    Kill the queens looking for protein to make eggs.
    I had a ton of wasps, hornets last year and NONE this year

Cyrano, jwrauch and Jaison like this.
  7. AK Hunter

AK Hunter G&G Evangelist

Dad had cut some dead trees & had them cut into logs to be hauled up to the house to be cut into firewood. He was on the tractor & I was working the chain.
    We pulled out all that he had cut & there was an old log over by the bushes that we pulled last. It was covered with vines & it took two pulls to get it broke loose. On the 2nd pull I saw a large dark cloud roll out from behind it as he drove off with the log.
    It was ground hornets, I screamed at him to "keep going ground hornets". Just about then the cloud hit me.
    Getting stung by a bee is not bad because a bee can only sting once & the stinger sticks in you. Ground hornets can sting you over & over & over. I took off running for the house grabbed the hose & sprayed them off until I could get inside. Dad jumped off the tractor & ran for the stream back down in the valley.
    The tractor kept going & crashed into a tree. I was stung about 18 to 20 times & dad had over 30 stings.
    We doctored each other up & when night fell we went out, found the nest, poured gas down it & lit it. We kept it burning for about an hour & then dropped a large piece of steel over it. The next morning we dug up the nest to be sure all were dead.
    What was left of the nest was about 2 ft. in diameter.
    Those were about the meanest things I have ever encountered & hope I never see any of them again.

animalspooker, Cyrano and jwrauch like this.
  8. Junction15

Junction15 G&G Evangelist

Don't light it? Where's the fun in that?
    Actually that reminds me of the last time I got stung. I was mowing the lawn in shorts and running shoes - no shirt. I got near the old barbecue and DANG! I got stung 3 times on my belly. I ran off and left the mower there. Took care of the stings with some Adolph's Meat Tenderizer.
    I go back out and pull the mower away and I see a guard coming out of a small hole. So got my pellet rifle and shot he barbeque a few times. I got them all stirred up but could see they all went in and out of that little hole. I waited a few hours and went back with a piece of dowel and plugged the hole - backed off and shot the barbeque again. A lot of buzzing but nothing came out. Cover was down tight and top vent was closed.
    Well, not being one to leave well enough alone, I went back with a cup of gasoline and poured it into the vent hole and closed it again. Lots of buzzing but it slowed down.
    Well now. You can't just leave a cup of gasoline to evaporate, the stuff is designed to be burned. Only thing is, I didn't want to be near it when it lit. Some cannon fuse would work but I didn't have any.
    So! You know those strike anywhere wooden matches? I picked a few out that fit the pellet gun bore pretty well. I put a small piece of gas soaked rag on top of the barbecue over the vent hole and backed off about 10 yards. Put about 3 pumps into the rifle and fired. First few didn't hit (wooden matches have poor ballistic properties) but then one lit. Voomp! Crispy critters.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Cyrano and jwrauch like this.
  9. jwrauch

jwrauch G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

If the nest is in an area where a fire wont cause problems light it as the fire will burn all the oxygen in the hole and suffocate any that the fire doesn't burn !!!

Cyrano and ncnascarlady like this.
  10. jwrauch

jwrauch G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

What do you use for poisoned bait ?

11. Rocky7

Rocky7 G&G Evangelist

Alberta
    I have to kill anywhere from a few to several yellow jacket nests around our place every year. I've never seen them nest in the ground. Black hornets sometimes do, but not yellow jackets. Must be a different strain up here. Regardless, they are indeed a nasty pest.

If I hang a few fake nests around the house, it usually keeps them from nesting on the decks or eaves, etc. They're territorial and will tend to stay away from another large nest, incl. fake ones.

BTW, I don't bother the black hornets. They eat wasps and bulldogs. They will sting but not if you leave them alone; not like yellow jackets.

12. MoDoc

MoDoc G&G Evangelist

When I was 12 or 13, I'd finished raking hay and saw our german shepherd pouncing on the ground at the edge of that pasture and spinning, making strange noises and yelps. She ran off, I went to investigate what she'd been doing, and zap!zap!zap! I got swarmed. I shrieked, and bawled in pain for the first time in a while, and galloped myself nearly a half mile to the house, where my sister-in-law tried to calm my stings. She thought it was nearly 2 dozen stings, but my whole back was welted and fluid-filled. I'm not allergic, but dang, they pack a punch!

Rocky7 likes this.
  13. Wicked109

Wicked109 G&G Evangelist

Because of this thread, I'm probably going to have to deal with hornet nests all summer long. That's typically how it goes, I don't have a problem, read or get told of one, then I have the same problem crop up.

Rocky7 and Jaison like this.
  14. Raw meat,fish or fish flavor canned cat food laced with fipronil.
    You can get it cheap as it is used to control ant nests too.
    Look for the ingredient fipronil and you and good to go

jwrauch and ncnascarlady like this.
  15. sorry. gotta run. C.A.D.O.J.
    I wanted to read further on, but your post stopped me in my tracks!

Rambo likes this.
  16. gsbuickman

gsbuickman G&G Evangelist

I hate all those evil little spawns of satan and I'm somewhat allergic to them now. Every time I get stung by one I have a tendency to swell up like Popeyes forearms. The evil little bastages that I deal with around here from time to time are the baldface paper wasps, but we also have yellow jackets, Hornets and red wasps as well as the occasional black wasps and I'd prefer not to have anything to do with any of them. With that being said Idon't mind honey bees at all, because the general rule of thumb with honey bees around here is that if you leave them alone and you're not intentionally bothering them they'll leave you alone.

Ten Man, Rocky7, jwrauch and 2 others like this.
  17. cjleete

cjleete G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

That's why I always keep a supply of Benadryl on hand

MoDoc, Ten Man, jwrauch and 1 other person like this.
  18. Bees won't eat the bait I use ;)
    BTW
    MY technique is the same one the parks department employs at campgrounds in Hawaii

19. It works on hornets as well as wasps
    Any of the carnivores.
    Last fall was the first time I put it out
    Queens are looking for protein to last them the winter and this spring I did it again to get queens looking for protein to make eggs.
    Last year my house had zillions of white faced hornets and yellow jackets
    None all summer !
    I call that a smashing success

Rocky7 and jwrauch like this.