close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Yes, yes another Rem 710 thread but....

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by GrassHoppa, Aug 1, 2002.

1. GrassHoppa

GrassHoppa G&G Newbie

I'm really close to buying a new rifle and my heart is/was sorta set on a Remington 710, obviously. Now that I get back home and do a little more searching on the net about it.....read some other peoples posts on the gun and seeing what they have said is really disheartening. I was on another forum that basicly riped the 710 apart, limb from limb. They were brutal. They sounded very knowledgable as well. Then on another forum, I hear nothing but great things....and here sort of mixed opinions. So, I don't know what to do. I'm really kind of sad, because here's a good opportunity for me to get a rifle for myself that doesn't cost me 2 months worth of rent. So my question is, if anyone has the chance to shoot this rifle, please, please post your experiences here to help me make a decision. I appreciate all who post.

2. I am a remington fan and have eleven 700's in various calibres. I, too, have read a wide variety of reviews for the 710. It is for this reason that I would not get the 710. If any of the bad posts are right then you could be in trouble. Err on the side of caution. I think you would be better off saving a little extra and getting a 700 if you are set on remington. If you are looking for an inexpensive rifle that is good quality I would suggest the Savage Model 111FCXP3 which is a bolt action with blued barrel, sling, and a simmons scope all for a lower price then the 710. You can get it in a range of magnum and non-magnum calibres. I am not knocking the 710 but if I was on a budget, this is what I would get. I hope is that you save the extra money and get a 700 remington. You will not be sorry you did.

3. I think dollar for dollar the Remington family cannot be touched in todays world. The have the smoothest actions, and as far as accuracy goes, they are right up there. The quality in their rifles is second to none. Are there rifles out there that are just as good? Yes. However, go compare prices.

4. Itchboy, I agree with you on the Remington quality. That's why I have eleven of them but I would be sceptical to recommend the 710 based only on what I have read. I have read about several problems with the 710 and don't think it should be mistaken for a less expensive Rem. 700. I don't like the idea that the barrel is pressed in the receiver. What happens if the barrel wears out? The gun is essentially a disposable rifle.

5. I think that Remington would definatly stand behind any product that they offer on the market. I think that if this were to happen to you (the barrel), they would rectify this problem without any problem.

6. GrassHoppa

GrassHoppa G&G Newbie

Thanks a lot for your imput and discussion here guys. I've made up my mind NOT to get a 710. I think overall, I'll hold off and get something else, my brother has a line on a sweet Garand that's in good condition. Anyway, I really appreciate your input. Maybe I'll see you around the garand side of the forums! We'll see. Thanks again.

imput = input

/me slaps himself....

Last edited: Aug 6, 2002
  7. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

I think the 710's kind of nice, one reason being the 60 degree bolt throw instead of 90. But I sold mine to put towards other guns, and I have no regrets. It ultimately depends on end use and what you really really want. I wanted an M1 and a 300 Ultra Mag. Both do what the 710 used to, and more. But the guy I sold my 710 to wasn't losing out, since that's what he wanted, a cheap, capable rifle that he doesn't mind getting dirty (it sheds dirt, by the way). That was his reason, along with wanting to load pointed bullets (his other rifle was a 30-30). I got it to have a hunting-legal rifle in a common caliber and, at the time, it was my... (don't laugh) my... SHTF gun. Two thirty caliber semi-autos later, I could let it go.

8. Grasshoppa--

Get the Garand. You will not go wrong!! They are an addiction. I am going on my fourth one. Do not get anything but a USGI made reciever. Dont even mess around with CAI recievers. They are bull sh it. If you do get the Garand let me know and I will tell you when it was made by the serial number.

9. GrassHoppa

GrassHoppa G&G Newbie

Itcboy, yeah I think I will get the Garand. The more I think about it and the more my brother tells me about it, the more I want it. So yeah the Garand is my goal right now. I'll actually have some more info on it tomorrow so if you want to join the thread I started there, please do!

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=4628&goto=newpost

Thanks again there guys. Weeeee! I can't wait I want to shout it out load to all my buddies, but they don't like guns in general. Woe is me.