Yet Another Use for Duct Tape: Wart Removal

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Doglips, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Doglips

Doglips Guest

Yes this study was conducted by "U.S. Army researchers " I want a grant to study the uses for duct tape.

Yet Another Use for Duct Tape: Wart Removal

Oct. 14
    — CHICAGO (Reuters) - Duct tape, already legendary for its many uses, can also be deployed to get rid of warts, U.S. Army researchers said on Monday.

Dean Focht of the Madigan Army Medical Center in Tacoma, Washington, said taping over a wart takes about a month to work. The growth is effectively suffocated, and dead tissue can then be gradually rubbed off with an emery board or pumice stone.

Placing standard adhesive tape over a wart is sometimes recommended by dermatologists and is a well-known home remedy. Duct tape, however, may be more sticky and less likely to unravel than some medical adhesive tapes.

The common wart, or verruca vulgaris, is a harmless growth caused by the papillomavirus. Warts can be contagious and annoying, but eventually will go away by themselves with the body creating an immunity.

Doctors can freeze them off with chemicals, called cryotherapy, but the treatment can scare children and may not be as permanent.

Focht had 26 subjects aged 3 to 22 years treat their warts with the duct tape method, where the growth was covered for six days then soaked with water and the dead tissue rubbed off. Twenty-five others underwent up to six treatments of cryotherapy with liquid nitrogen.

The duct tape method worked for 85 percent of the patients, while cryotherapy was effective for 60 percent.

Sticky-sided duct tape has many uses that range from patching to repairing to binding to removing nail polish.

"In our study, duct tape occlusion therapy was shown to be more effective than cryotherapy in the treatment of verruca vulgaris, and it caused few adverse effects," Focht wrote in the Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, a journal published by the American Medical Association.

Copyright 2002 Reuters News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

2. Mon Bathan

Mon Bathan Guest

I think it is a painful approach to remove warts

Mon

3. wes

wes Guest

See the "Red Green Show" sometime about duct tape.

4. GARY D

GARY D Guest

It's also great for removing body hair.:eek:

5. tommy

tommy G&G Enthusiast

body hair .ouch that brings back memories about the hospital when they come to let you go and they pull all that tape off.

6. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

What about those people with genital warts? YEEEEOUCHHHHH! :eek: :throwup: :D

7. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    used duct tape to keep the acid patch in palce on the bottom of my foot recently due to a plantar wart. It works.

8. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

More 1001 Uses For Duct Tape

Get a cut at the range? Duct tape and a cleaning patch make a field expedient bandage til you get home. Been there, done that.

Camo duct tape is great for Christmas decorations - blends into the wreaths nicely.

9. Mandy

Mandy FREE CITIZEN Forum Contributor

:assult: :assult: :assult: :assult: :assult:

Doglips:
    Ouch

Gary D:
    Ouch

tommy:
    Ouch

NRAJOE:
    YEEEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUCCCCCHHHH

:assult: :assult: :assult: :assult: :assult:

10. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Pretty sick thought huh? Oh well look inside my head over there, you'll see why! :D