Yet more Obama embellishment...

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by LarryO1970, May 27, 2008.

1. Barack Obama is getting called out again for his knowledge of history, including his own family’s, after declaring to veterans on Memorial Day that his uncle helped liberate the Auschwitz death camp at the end of World War II.

Two problems with the tale: Auschwitz was liberated by the Soviet Army, and Obama’s American mother was an only child.

Speaking in Las Cruces, N.M., on Monday, the Democratic presidential candidate said he did not serve, but comes from a family that did sacrifice for the nation. He was speaking about the many members of the military who suffer post traumatic stress disorder and should be given better care.
    “I had a uncle who was one of the, who was part of the first American troops to go into Auschwitz and liberate the concentration camps and the story in our family is that when he came home, he just went up into the attic and he didn’t leave the house for six months, right. Now obviously something had really affected him deeply but at that time there just weren’t the kinds of facilities to help somebody work through that kind of pain,” he said.

However, a quick check on the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum Web site shows that Soviet forces were the first to approach Auschwitz, which was in Poland.

“On Jan. 27, 1945, the Soviet army entered Auschwitz and liberated more than 7,000 remaining prisoners,” the site reads.

U.S. forces did liberate several camps, including Ohrdruf Concentration Camp on April 4, 1945; Mittelbau-Dora Concentration Camp on April 11, 1945; Buchenwald on April 12, 1945; Dachau on April 29, 1945; and Mauthausen on May 5, 1945.

Obama was raised in part by his grandparents, and his father served in the second World War. A request for clarification has been made to the Obama campaign.

2. 2 MICHELLES, 2 AMERICAS & SHAME vs. PRIDE

By Michelle Malkin

Columnist

Like Michelle Obama, I am a "woman of color." Like Michelle Obama, I am a working mother of two young children. Like Michelle Obama, I am a member of the 13th generation of Americans born since the founding of our great nation.

Unlike Michelle Obama, I can't keep track of the number of times I've been proud - really proud - of my country since I was born and privileged to live in it. At a recent speech in Milwaukee on behalf of her husband's Democratic presidential campaign, Mrs. Obama remarked, "For the first time in my adult lifetime, I am really proud of my country, and not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change."

Mrs. Obama's statement was met with warm applause from other Barack supporters who have also apparently been devoid of pride in their country during their adult lifetimes. Or maybe it was just a Pavlovian response to the word "change." What a sad, empty, narcissistic, ungrateful, unthinking lot!

I'm just seven years younger than Mrs. Obama. We've grown up and lived in the same era. And yet, her self-absorbed attitude is completely foreign to me. What planet is she living on? Since when was now the only time the American people have ever been "hungry for change"?

Michelle, ma belle, Barack is not the center of the universe. News flash: The Obamas did not invent "change" any more than Hillary invented "leadership" or John McCain invented "straight talk." We were both adults when the Berlin Wall fell, Michelle. That was earth-shattering change. We've lived through two decades' worth of peaceful, if contentious, election cycles under the rule of law, which have brought about "change" and upheaval, both good and bad. We were adults through several launches of the space shuttle, in case you were snoozing. And as adults, we've witnessed and benefited from dizzyingly rapid advances in technology, communications, science, and medicine pioneered by American entrepreneurs who yearned to change the world and succeeded. You want "change"? Go ask the patients whose lives have been improved and extended by American pharmaceutical companies that have flourished under the best economic system in the world.

If American ingenuity, a robust constitutional republic, and the fall of communism don't do it for you, Hon, then how about American heroism and sacrifice? How about every Memorial Day? Every Veterans Day? Every Independence Day? Every Medal of Honor ceremony? Has she never attended a welcome-home ceremony for the troops? For me, there's the thrill of the Blue Angels roaring over cloudless skies. And the somber awe felt amid the hallowed waters that surround the sunken U.S.S. Arizona at the Pearl Harbor memorial.

Every naturalization ceremony I've attended, where hundreds of new Americans raised their hands to swear an oath of allegiance to this land of liberty, has been a moment of pride for me. So have the awesome displays of American compassion at home and around the world. When millions of Americans rallied to help victims of the 2004 tsunami in Southeast Asia - including members of the U.S.S. Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group that sped from Hong Kong to assist survivors - my heart filled with pride. It did again when the citizens of Houston opened their arms to Hurricane Katrina victims and folks across the country rushed to their churches and offices of the Salvation Army and Red Cross to volunteer.

How about American resilience? Does that not make you proud, Michelle? Only a heart of stone could be unmoved by the strength, valor, and determination displayed in New York , Washington , D.C., and Shanksville , Pa. , on September 11, 2001.

I believe it was Michael Kinsley who quipped that a gaffe is when a politician tells the truth. In this case, it's what happens when an elite Democratic politician's wife says what a significant portion of the party's base really believes to be the truth: America is more a source of shame than pride.

Michelle Obama has achieved enormous professional success, political influence, and personal acclaim in America . Ivy League educated, she's been lauded by Essence magazine as one of the 25 World's Most Inspiring Women; by Vanity Fair as one of the ten World's Best-Dressed Women; and named one of "The Harvard 100" most influential alumni. She has had an amazingly blessed life. But, you wouldn't know it from her campaign rhetoric and her griping about her and her husband's student loans.

For years, we've heard liberals get offended at any challenge to their patriotism. And so they are again aggrieved and rising to explain away Mrs. Obama's remarks.

Lady Michelle and her defenders protest too much!

3. And it was necessary to print this in a font size normally used in billboards, because...?

"Michelle, ma belle, Barack is not the center of the universe."

Huh?!!?? What is that supposed to mean? Like a lot of Michelle Malkin's writing, it's belligerent and confrontational-sounding, but has no real content.

4. Troy2k.... and your response to the 1st post of this thread is ... ?

5. Sounds like he blew which concentration camp his uncle helped liberate. Which isn't all that surprising, considering he wasn't even born at the time.

There's also the possibility that he was just telling a little story, to reinforce his point and relate to the audience. You know...like Reagan used to do? Remember Ronnie's little tale of the welfare queen...the one that didn't exist? Or are you that old?

Okay, I just re-read the post, and it says his mother was an only child. It also says his father served in WWII, but it doesn't say which service or whether it's possible the dad had a brother who helped liberate any camps. And of course there's the possibility he was talking about someone in his stpefather's family.

All in all, I agree it's doubtful it's true.

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  6. Desperation . . .

leads to "truthiness" in politics.

7. Thanks for the reply Troy2k, I appreciate it.

Wouldn't it be nice if we had candidates that actually told the truth for once?
    Reagan is dead, buried and gone, not even part of this. The simple fact of the matter is that Obama lied.

Partial Obama explanation of Auschwitz/Uncle flub

The Obama camp is preparing a more formal response, but the essence of it is that Obama was referring to a Great Uncle, not an uncle (which, of course, he doesn't have).

The Obama campaign says the Great Uncle served in the 89th Infantry Division and the concentration camp Obama referred to Auschwitz, was, in fact, the Ohrdruf Concentration camp near the Buchwenwald Concentration camp in Weimar, Germany. Ohrdruf was one of many sub-camps to Buchenwald and was located about 32 miles away. U.S. forces with the 89th Infantry and other units liberated it on April 4, 1945. Ohrdruf was, according to the Holocaust Museum, not an extermination camp but a work camp where prisoners were worked to death.

MORE TO COME

Seemingly so smart, I (personally) find it hard to believe he could have said this "accidentally" ...

from Obama camp:

Facts on Obama's Great Uncle Who Served in WWII

Senator Obamas family is proud of the service of his grandfather and uncles in World War II - especially the fact that his great uncle was a part of liberating one of the concentration camps at Buchenwald. Yesterday he mistakenly referred to Auschwitz instead of Buchenwald in telling of his personal experience of a soldier in his family who served heroically, said Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton.

Information about the infantry division that Obamas great uncle was a part of that took part in the liberation of a subcamp of the Buchenwald concentration camp in Nazi German:

Link about Obamas great uncles infantry division --
    <http://www.89infdivww2.org/ohrdruf/>

From the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum --
    <http://www.ushmm.org/wlc/article.php?lang=en&ModuleId=10006140>

Obamas Great Uncle (His Grandmothers Brother) Served in the 89th Infantry Division that Liberated Ohrdruf, a Subcamp of Buchenwald, the First Camp Liberated by Americans, on April 4, 1945; It Was Visited by Eisenhower, Patton and Bradley on April 12th. Formed in 1917, shortly after the United States entered World War I, the 89th Infantry Division participated in several major military battles. In World War II

<http://www.ushmm.org/wlc/article.php?lang=en&ModuleId=10005137>, the "Rolling W" division landed in France in January 1945 and quickly advanced to the German front. In March 1945, it joined the Third Army's assault on the Rhineland, crossing the Sauer, Moselle, and Rhine rivers that same month. On April 8, the 89th captured the town of Eisenach and subsequently advanced farther into Thuringia and into neighboring Saxony, where it took the city of Zwickau on April 18, 1945. On April 4, 1945, the 89th overran Ohrdruf, a subcamp of the Buchenwald concentration camp. Ohrdruf was the first Nazi concentration camp liberated by U.S. troops in Germany. A week later, on April 12, Generals Dwight D. Eisenhower, George S. Patton, and Omar Bradley visited Ohrdruf to see, firsthand, evidence of Nazi atrocities against concentration camp prisoners. [United States Holocaust Museum <http://www.ushmm.org/wlc/article.php?lang=en&ModuleId=10006140>]

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  8. Windwalker

Windwalker G&G Newbie

As an American I resented the remarks by Michelle about as much as I would a slap in the face. If the only things America can do to make her proud is something that benefits her personally such as increasing her husbands power base and potentially increasing their financial base then she and other elitists like her husband either don't understand what America is about or just don't care unless it is personally benefiting them. I'm glad to see that I wasn"t the only one offended.
    However, I disagree with the authors assessment of the Democratic Party. I am a Conservative Democrat and I am proud to live in the United States of America, in my opinion the BEST Country in the World. If there are any who are ashamed of The United States of America, regardless of what your political party or other affiliations are, I have six words for you. GET OUT OF THE UNITED STATES. Go to any country you wish but get out of ours.