close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

You won't believe who has lost their right to own firearms

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Doglips, May 26, 2002.

1. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

This is from Outdoor Life.

The U.S. Gun Grab
    by Frank Miniter
    You won't believe who has lost their right to own firearms.

You might think only murderers and rapists get their firearms taken away. Well, think again. Here are just a few things that could lead to the confiscation of your deer rifle: drag racing in Pennsylvania (it’s a felony in the Keystone State), becoming a fugitive from justice (not showing up for traffic court counts), having a protection order placed against you (a shoving match with your neighbor can result in one of these) and getting convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence (a fist fight with your brother qualifies).

Basically, if you plead guilty to or are convicted of any federal law that can be punished by one year or more in jail, your state has the right to confiscate your .30/06. Likewise, if you plead guilty or are convicted of a state misdemeanor that is punishable by two years in prison, the state can take your Winchester.

Still feel invulnerable? So did Donald G. Arnold, a private investigator who was named a “citizen of the year†in Maryland in 2000 for his work helping the police to stop drug dealers in Baltimore. Arnold recently went to renew his carry permit in Maryland and was denied, because in 1969, after returning from Vietnam, he got into a scuffle with a college student who called him a “baby killer.†Arnold went to court without a lawyer and received a 60-day suspended sentence and unsupervised probation.

What Arnold didn’t know was that 30 years later the Maryland Attorney General would claim that a 1996 decision by the Maryland Court of Appeals allows the state to disqualify a person from possessing firearms based on the sentence he could have received. (At press time two separate bills designed to restore gun rights to people like Arnold were in committee in the Maryland House of Delegates.)

In another case, Thomas Lamar Bean, a Texas resident and former gun dealer, was arrested in Mexico after a box of ammunition was found in his vehicle. Bean was convicted, spent time in a Mexican prison and then came home to find that he could not possess a firearm in the U.S. because of the felony conviction. When Bean petitioned to gain his rights back, he ran into a bureaucratic logjam: a decade ago Congress axed the budget for these requests. Bean, however, won a Texas lawsuit to force the ATF to renew his gun rights, but that didn’t end his battle. At press time the U.S. Supreme Court was due to decide whether federal judges can even restore gun rights.

So before you plead guilty to any criminal violation, get the facts. (In some states public exposure—tinkling on the rose bushes, for example—carries a one- to five-year sentence.) How vulnerable do you feel now?

2. they'll do anything to take our guns, from the rediculous to the completly obsurd, makes me wonder what they've got planned for when all the law abiding are unarmed.
    -Jesse

3. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

UNBELIEVABLE!!! THEY WILL TRY AND TRY UNTIL THEY FIND A WAY TO COMPLETE THEIR AGENDA AGAINST US GUN OWNERS!

4. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

It's called incrementalism...Kind of like boiling a crab...The water starts to get a little bit warmer as time runs out

5. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

I know I'm going to start a p''''ssing contest, but Doglips is a little extreme. A neighbor cannot place a protective order against you unless you are/were: married, romantic relationship, family. Bottom line.... A son of a gun that is CONVICTED of domestic violence SHOULD NOT legally own a firearm. The laws were designed to protect the wives. Do the laws work? HECK NO! We all know that criminal can get a firearm more quickly and cheaper than you and I can......

I can't speak for Maryland, but I can speak about TX.

6. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

I dont always agree with the stuff I post....I cut and past it...and as in this case site the sorce of the artical...(This was in outdoor life .."This is from Outdoor Life. The U.S. Gun Grab by Frank Miniter" I post these things not for a pissing contest...but to get us all thinking.... Some things spice up the conversations around here..some dont...hay only Alah is perfect.... In this case I found the artical intresting. Also liveing in Florida we have more relaxed gun laws....not until I started reading forms like this did I learn that some states require people to have a License to buy a gun..or to transpot it to/from the range...Articals like this help me to understand that the laws some of us deal with are vastly diffrent than MY understanding of what is going on in this country....See I use to have a short sited view...I assumed that the laws inflorida were the same nation wide....I got to Wal-mart by a long gun..instacheck...pay and walk out with the gun..ammo and what ever (3 day wait on handguns unless you have a CCW)...put gun in gun rack...visible or hiden behind the seat...go to..from range..can leave gun in car if I want to. In some states people cant do that...In Miami its a 5 day handgun wait....is this artical off?...mybe for my state...maybe not...post it and let people informe ME....

7. like I said in another post its not the "front line in the news jerks like clinton and schummer and kenady" we have to really be conserened with its the behind the doors stuff like this. Think the wild life commision really cares if you kill bamby with a semi or bolt, na they are being used by the anti gunners to help in restricting our rights to own sertine types of guns, the deer and the game warden could care less witch you shoot with it all kills, now through some gun grabers into the mix and bingo heres a way to keep people from haveing AK's just say the can't hunt with Semi autos, Now what can they say they need them for.
    See we have to watch every where not just what pops up in the news.

8. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

I was at a gun store a couple of years ago when an older (65+) man came in to buy a handgun because he had some punks who were messing with him and his wife. He was denied because of a conviction 50 years prior for failing to pay some property tax. He paid the tax late, but ended up in court anyhow. He said he was going to fight to get his right to own a gun back, but said he wasn't sure how his congregation would feel about it- the man was a preacher for a big church in central Ohio. Just goes to show that sometimes people seem extreme because the government goes to the extreme.
    Oneastrix, I understand your feelings on the domestic scene. However, you have NEVER, EVER touched your wife while you were married. Things don't work out, and you mutually decide to call it quits. You have an arguement before the divorce hearings about something small. Your soon-to-be ex-wife's attorney convinces her to have a TRO filed against you "just as a precaution", and she reluctantly agrees. You just lost your right to ever own a gun again. Sound far-fetched? Sound extreme? Even though you did NOTHING illegal, you now are forbidden to have a gun because your ex-wife was persuaded to place a TRO against you because of a simple arguement. Granted, there are people out there who don't deserve to have a gun because they beat their wife and/or kid(s). But, should someone have to pay this high a price "just as a precaution" for an arguement? I think not.