Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm curious about the evolution of everyone's choice for CCW. What you carried first all the way up to what you carry now and why you switched from one to the next. I haven't been carrying long so I only have a few.

For me it was:
1. Springfield 1911A1 .45ACP - That's what I had at the time
2. S&W 605 2 1/4" .357 - Got one in trade for some gun work (still carry it quite a bit in cooler weather)
3. Taurus PT111 Titanium - Carry it all the time paddle holster in small of back or in a pocket. Carry it all day and don't even know it's there.
4. I've always carried a 6" S&W 686 .357 in the seat of my truck or Jeep. It's made more than one crackhead decide to bother somebody else at the stoplight.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Good to see you post'in, Rockhound. Saw your location and thought about a trip down your way recently to Eureka Springs. Noticed there were plenty of unique colorful rocks for sale in that area. :nod:

In regard to your question, I'm not carrying yet. But...I've bought a Springfield XD 9mm for that purpose, whenever I get around to qualifying for my CCW here in MO.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Glock Model 23. Always has been, have never changed. My wife, Glock Model 27. Same for her, has been since the beginning.
Depending on the circumstances, I've been known to carry hers. Have holsters for both.
Why? We thought it was the best choice then, and nothing's come along since to make us change our minds.
We got our CHPs (Texas terminology, "concealed handgun permit") the first year they were available. I believe that's been eight years now.
eljay

L

·
0 Posts
I used to carry a Smith & Wesson 65 but it started getting too loose after a couple thousand Remington 125 grain bullets headed downrange around 1500 fps :target: now it's a Colt Agent .38 that goes almost everywhere with me :gangster:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Oxford said:
Good to see you post'in, Rockhound. Saw your location and thought about a trip down your way recently to Eureka Springs. Noticed there were plenty of unique colorful rocks for sale in that area. :nod:

Come on down! We'll go out on my farm and pop some coyotes. :full:
I'm actually a little further South than Eureka Springs. Down here close to I-40 in Lamar. We don't have that many colorful rocks but we've got lots of 'em that have tree fossils in 'em and quite a few that were Native American projectiles at one time.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Rockhound...I was almost at your door twice last month as I drove along I-40 from Ft Smith over to Russellville on my way to Hot Springs Village. I made two trips down there from my home just north of downtown Kansas City, MO.

Glad your state highway department finally rebuilt I-40 properly with a new concrete expressway. I about shook everything apart in my SUV when I drive over that old road.

So you've got coyote's? What do you use to pop them with? :assult:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oxford said:
Rockhound...I was almost at your door twice last month as I drove along I-40 from Ft Smith over to Russellville on my way to Hot Springs Village. I made two trips down there from my home just north of downtown Kansas City, MO.

Glad your state highway department finally rebuilt I-40 properly with a new concrete expressway. I about shook everything apart in my SUV when I drive over that old road.

So you've got coyote's? What do you use to pop them with? :assult:
My farm's just about 7 miles North of the 64 mile marker. Where it starts getting good and hilly on HWY 123. My gun shop is there too. Then I live another 2 miles North of that.

Yeah, I-40 was supposed to be a "5 year" project. It is pretty nice now though.

For the coyotes it just depends on how I want to hunt. For a good pure "call 'em up and pop 'em from a distance." I like my Rem. 700 30-06.
I've found a few dead deer lately, one hung in a fence, one hit by a car, etc... I like to set up pretty close to those in some good cover and wait until there's a good sized pack of the nasty little turkey/calf killers in for a free feed and open up on 'em with my Yugo SKS. I've even killed a few with a Marlin .17 HMR. Of course I'm not above targets of opportunity either so whatever's handy when I see one is fine too. Most of the ones we have around here aren't pure anymore. They've bred in with dogs too much. Most of what I see now are a mottled charcoal gray color. I've even started seeing a few black ones.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Rockh0und...Sorry for not getting back sooner. I just now noticed your reply.

Is Greenbrier Creek and S. Meadow Place a good place to find coyotes...expecially along Greenbrier Creek? Can't tell from Mapquest just how hilly that area is...but I'd guess that area is a low valley site.

Must be fun having game come to you looking for free meals.:nod: :D: :uzi:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oxford said:
Rockh0und...Sorry for not getting back sooner. I just now noticed your reply.

Is Greenbrier Creek and S. Meadow Place a good place to find coyotes...expecially along Greenbrier Creek? Can't tell from Mapquest just how hilly that area is...but I'd guess that area is a low valley site.

Must be fun having game come to you looking for free meals.:nod: :D: :uzi:
That's OK...We just had our first baby so I haven't been online much lately anyway.

I don't know that area too well. I don't think it's very hilly though. It's more toward the river. Spadra Creek is a public hunting area down there that would has some good coyote hunting though. I've heard several guys saying that they're killing the black ones in there. It goes all the way out to the river. I duck hunt in there quite a bit.

Yeah, I rarely hunt anywhere else for big game. I keep several stands up year round and the deer, turkey, etc. don't pay much attention to them. I'm out there every day too so it's pretty easy to keep up with game habits.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts