Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the top of my list would be the Righteous Brothers. I think God brought them together to move our hearts. A perfect match. They complimented each other in their duets. Absolutely beautiful music and lyrics. Unchained Melody, You’ve Lost That Loving Feeling, Ebbtide, and so on. I’ll add later groups and singers I really liked later.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
not a group but...stilll love this!

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Old rock n roll is some of the best. As a tyke in the '60s - with 8 sisters - I had had my fill of the Beatles. Not saying they weren't good - I just burned out on them quickly.
My brothers however - Beach Boys, Four Seasons, Buddy Holly, Johnny Cash, Old School Motown, Roy Orbison, Chuck Berry and Jerry Lee Lewis I liked to listen to.
Then the British Invasion groups, Hippy Folk bands, Jimmy Hendrix, and the advent of heavy metal, and what I consider my time (1975-1990), the insaneness of the '80's. Honestly, I really don't know how I survived that time period.
My favorite band? - very difficult to pick - if one I had to choose - Black Sabbath for the Brits, and Tom Petty for the American rock band. Couldn't narrow it down more than that!

·
Premium Member
24,837 Posts
At the top of my list would be the Righteous Brothers. I think God brought them together to move our hearts. A perfect match. They complimented each other in their duets. Absolutely beautiful music and lyrics. Unchained Melody, You’ve Lost That Loving Feeling, Ebbtide, and so on. I’ll add later groups and singers I really liked later.
In a similar vein is THE NYLONS. They are an A Capella Foursome that does excellent vocal harmony.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Buck Owens and the Buckaroos, before they lost Don Rich.
Charlie Daniels Band.
For perfect harmonies, The Statler Brothers. I liked them best after Jimmy Fortune joined the group, but they were always good.
ZZ Top, for a 3 man band, they can lay down some music
The Beach Boys

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
35,663 Posts
For me.....
Fleetwood Mac
Heart (before they got political)
The Kingston Trio
The Beachboys
Abba
And others.

·
Premium Member
23,340 Posts
Oh man:
Fleetwood Mac, The Kinks, Santana, Soundgarden, Foo Fighters, The Oak Ridge Boys, Rush, Johnny Cash, The Highwaymen, Dire Straits, Little Texas, The Eagles, Crowded House, King Crimson, Al Green, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Stevie Wonder, Pure Prairie League, Arcade Fire, Ray Charles, The Guess Who, Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds, Roy Orbison, The Marshall Tucker Band, Asleep At The Wheel, just to name a few that quickly came to mind...

·
Registered
18,887 Posts
I finally got my old HiFi set up at the new house, and I have been listening to a lot of old 33 1/3s lately; Temptations, Beach Boys, Beatles, Jackson 5, Otis Redding, and some others.

On the negative side, the knob that allows me to switch from record, to tape, to radio, to input, seems to have gone missing. This means that I won't be able to listen to anything I own that was recorded more recently than 1985.

It's a good thing there were so many great groups in the '50s, '60s and parts of the '70s.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
(1) Paula Kelly and the modernaires
(2) Helen O`Connell and Bob Eberly Song...Green Eyes.
(3) The Ink Spots
(4) The Andrews Sisters.
(5) DeCastro Sisters

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
(1) Paula Kelly and the modernaires
(2) Helen O`Connell and Bob Eberly Song...Green Eyes.
(3) The Ink Spots
(4) The Andrews Sisters.
(5) DeCastro Sisters
My dads favorite song was Peace in the Vallly by the Ink Spots. I've looked for years trying to find this song by the Ink Spots to no avail.

·
Registered
18,887 Posts
It would be really hard for me to even make a top 10 of my favorite musical groups.

There are several bands, groups or artists I like the best at any given time. The best I can do is to make a list of bands that I always, eventually, go back to.

1. Bad Religion
2. Mamas and the Papas
3. Beach Boys
4. Offspring
5. Johnny Cash
6. Johnny Rivers
7. Anti-Nowhere League
8. Metallica
9. Temptations
10. Supremes
11. Beatles
12. Elvis
13. Motorhead
14. Agent Orange
15. Greenday
16. Generation X
17. Black Sabbath
18. Real McKenzies
19. Bobby Darin
20. White Zombie
21. Ventures
22. Dick Dale
23. Nirvana
24. Descendents
25. Pain
26. Thin Lizzy
27. Megadeth
28. Frank Sinatra
29. Corrosion of Conformity
30. Rammstein
31. Breeders
32. Cranberries
33. Ramones
35. Reverend Horton Heat
36. Flogging Molly
37. Marty Robins

That isn't to say that I might not get on a long kick of Celtic music, or classical, or '80s pop, something else.
Some of these bands aren't even on my top 10 list of favorite bands at any given point. Some I might go years without listening to at all. These are, however, the ones that I will always wander back to and binge listen to for months at a time.

Some of these bands take me back to a certain time and place, some remind me of a certain person, some remind me who I used to be, and some just cheer me up or help me vent some anger.

For what it is worth, HiFi system aside, my current 10 favorites list is mostly made up of bands not on the "all time" list; Band Maid, Lawrence Arms, Real McKenzies, Casualties of Retail, Smokey Robinson, Bob Marley, Days n Daze, Sponge, Jackson 5, and Social Distortion.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts