Your Favorite Musical Groups

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Brother Bob, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Brother Bob

Brother Bob G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

At the top of my list would be the Righteous Brothers. I think God brought them together to move our hearts. A perfect match. They complimented each other in their duets. Absolutely beautiful music and lyrics. Unchained Melody, You’ve Lost That Loving Feeling, Ebbtide, and so on. I’ll add later groups and singers I really liked later.

TXplt, Bigfoot, rangerjd and 3 others like this.
  2. not a group but...stilll love this!

TXplt, jwrauch and graybeard like this.

3. graybeard

graybeard G&G Evangelist

Old rock n roll is some of the best. As a tyke in the '60s - with 8 sisters - I had had my fill of the Beatles. Not saying they weren't good - I just burned out on them quickly.
    My brothers however - Beach Boys, Four Seasons, Buddy Holly, Johnny Cash, Old School Motown, Roy Orbison, Chuck Berry and Jerry Lee Lewis I liked to listen to.
    Then the British Invasion groups, Hippy Folk bands, Jimmy Hendrix, and the advent of heavy metal, and what I consider my time (1975-1990), the insaneness of the '80's. Honestly, I really don't know how I survived that time period.
    My favorite band? - very difficult to pick - if one I had to choose - Black Sabbath for the Brits, and Tom Petty for the American rock band. Couldn't narrow it down more than that!

Jack Ryan, cjleete, BigEd63 and 3 others like this.
  4. SUBMOA

SUBMOA G&G Evangelist

Very tough to narrow that field !

graybeard likes this.
  5. jwrauch

jwrauch G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

For me Pink Floyd has got to be on the list.

Rocky7, BudW, Jack Ryan and 4 others like this.
  6. mdj696

mdj696 G&G Evangelist

From the 60s Bobby Goldsboro.

graybeard, Brother Bob and jwrauch like this.
  7. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

In a similar vein is THE NYLONS. They are an A Capella Foursome that does excellent vocal harmony.

graybeard, rangerjd and jwrauch like this.
  8. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

I watch Bollywood for the musical interludes.

graybeard likes this.
  9. rangerjd

rangerjd G&G Evangelist

Buck Owens and the Buckaroos, before they lost Don Rich.
    Charlie Daniels Band.
    For perfect harmonies, The Statler Brothers. I liked them best after Jimmy Fortune joined the group, but they were always good.
    ZZ Top, for a 3 man band, they can lay down some music
    The Beach Boys

10. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

For me.....
    Fleetwood Mac
    Heart (before they got political)
    The Kingston Trio
    The Beachboys
    Abba
    And others.

graybeard, jwrauch and rangerjd like this.
  11. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Oh man:
    Fleetwood Mac, The Kinks, Santana, Soundgarden, Foo Fighters, The Oak Ridge Boys, Rush, Johnny Cash, The Highwaymen, Dire Straits, Little Texas, The Eagles, Crowded House, King Crimson, Al Green, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Stevie Wonder, Pure Prairie League, Arcade Fire, Ray Charles, The Guess Who, Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds, Roy Orbison, The Marshall Tucker Band, Asleep At The Wheel, just to name a few that quickly came to mind...

12. Bigfoot

Bigfoot G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Afton NY
    Every time i think i can name one, another song by another group pops into my mind. All i know is they don't make em like they used to. Rap makes my hide stand up. Guess i'm over the hill in sentimental land.

Rocky7, graybeard, jwrauch and 2 others like this.
  13. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

I finally got my old HiFi set up at the new house, and I have been listening to a lot of old 33 1/3s lately; Temptations, Beach Boys, Beatles, Jackson 5, Otis Redding, and some others.

On the negative side, the knob that allows me to switch from record, to tape, to radio, to input, seems to have gone missing. This means that I won't be able to listen to anything I own that was recorded more recently than 1985.

It's a good thing there were so many great groups in the '50s, '60s and parts of the '70s.

Coach, Jack Ryan, graybeard and 3 others like this.
  14. Brother Bob

Brother Bob G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Remember “Honey”? Sad song.

graybeard, jwrauch and ChaZam like this.
  15. PaleHawkDown

There are a lot of great, yet sad, songs from the era. Remember this one:

16. Sav .250

Sav .250 G&G Evangelist

(1) Paula Kelly and the modernaires
    (2) Helen O`Connell and Bob Eberly Song...Green Eyes.
    (3) The Ink Spots
    (4) The Andrews Sisters.
    (5) DeCastro Sisters

graybeard likes this.
  17. mdj696

mdj696 G&G Evangelist

My dads favorite song was Peace in the Vallly by the Ink Spots. I've looked for years trying to find this song by the Ink Spots to no avail.

ChaZam and graybeard like this.
  18. TheWall

TheWall Firearm Affectionado Forum Contributor

Too many to list.

ChaZam, graybeard and jwrauch like this.
  19. PaleHawkDown

It would be really hard for me to even make a top 10 of my favorite musical groups.

There are several bands, groups or artists I like the best at any given time. The best I can do is to make a list of bands that I always, eventually, go back to.

1. Bad Religion
    2. Mamas and the Papas
    3. Beach Boys
    4. Offspring
    5. Johnny Cash
    6. Johnny Rivers
    7. Anti-Nowhere League
    8. Metallica
    9. Temptations
    10. Supremes
    11. Beatles
    12. Elvis
    13. Motorhead
    14. Agent Orange
    15. Greenday
    16. Generation X
    17. Black Sabbath
    18. Real McKenzies
    19. Bobby Darin
    20. White Zombie
    21. Ventures
    22. Dick Dale
    23. Nirvana
    24. Descendents
    25. Pain
    26. Thin Lizzy
    27. Megadeth
    28. Frank Sinatra
    29. Corrosion of Conformity
    30. Rammstein
    31. Breeders
    32. Cranberries
    33. Ramones
    35. Reverend Horton Heat
    36. Flogging Molly
    37. Marty Robins

That isn't to say that I might not get on a long kick of Celtic music, or classical, or '80s pop, something else.
    Some of these bands aren't even on my top 10 list of favorite bands at any given point. Some I might go years without listening to at all. These are, however, the ones that I will always wander back to and binge listen to for months at a time.

Some of these bands take me back to a certain time and place, some remind me of a certain person, some remind me who I used to be, and some just cheer me up or help me vent some anger.

For what it is worth, HiFi system aside, my current 10 favorites list is mostly made up of bands not on the "all time" list; Band Maid, Lawrence Arms, Real McKenzies, Casualties of Retail, Smokey Robinson, Bob Marley, Days n Daze, Sponge, Jackson 5, and Social Distortion.

ChaZam, graybeard and Brother Bob like this.