Gun and Game Forum banner

Your Fishing Gear

Tags
bass
4K views 41 replies 13 participants last post by  ncnascarlady 
#1 ·
Hey guys and gals..... Share with us photo's of your favorite rod/reel and species of fish. Tall tales allowed.

Recent bass...not weighed but estimated (by me) ha, at around 8 lbs.
Vertebrate Fishing Fish Bass Recreational fishing

See less See more
#2 ·
you know full well no 8lb Bass would be caught dead within 100yds. of a pole that color.

all mine are boring.
spinning reels and poles of various colors and sizes.
bass, walleye, trout, cat fish, they all get the same treatment.
pretty much a Carolina rig variation.

#5 ·
I have like a large collection of fishing rods, reels, tackle and tackle boxes. I actually have a 12x12' shed dedicated to fishing storage. I have saltwater bay stuff and ocean fishing rods and reels and tackle. Also freshwater gear and smaller trout fishing equipment. I mainly fish for Striped bass and perch in the bay here but also do a lot of freshwater trout fishing through out the spring, summer and fall. Also trips to the ocean and mouth of the bay here. I have did a lot of tuna and shark fishing also. I like it all. I have some fish mounted on my basement walls. Largest is a 9 foot hammerhead shark I caught

#8 ·
Crappie fillets..
too bad I have to drive like 500 miles to catch one.
I pick up some bluegill while small mouth bass fishing, but they are maybe palm size at best.
I have talked to a number of guy's that fish around here and we have a lake right here that could be built into a premier medium size crappie lake with minimal effort.
but we can't get any county, city, or state feedback,, let alone support.
it's full of 8-15lb carp and 1-2lb catfish.
with a handful of perch and maybe 6-7 small mouth bass roaming around a couple of spots.

#10 ·
I have like a large collection of fishing rods, reels, tackle and tackle boxes. I actually have a 12x12' shed dedicated to fishing storage. I have saltwater bay stuff and ocean fishing rods and reels and tackle. Also freshwater gear and smaller trout fishing equipment. I mainly fish for Striped bass and perch in the bay here but also do a lot of freshwater trout fishing through out the spring, summer and fall. Also trips to the ocean and mouth of the bay here. I have did a lot of tuna and shark fishing also. I like it all. I have some fish mounted on my basement walls. Largest is a 9 foot hammerhead shark I caught
He who dies with the most fishing rods .....wins !

#14 ·
Tom, the simplest is the most sublime. These inexpensive telescoping rods from B 'n' M in West Point, MS. with a few jigs or a snelled hook and minnows and a pair of waders trumps any other investment I ever made. Boats, glass rods, graphite rods, casting reels, spinning reels, big motors, trolling motors, huge boxes full of pricey terminal tackle just increased the per pound cost of a decreasing supply of fish... That kind of fishing is hard work for an old man but a mess of crappie sure sounds good right about now.
Turquoise Pattern Textile Polar fleece Purple
Green Line Concrete

#18 ·
my winter to-do list includes cleaning some rods and reels.
it was so muddy the last few days I got to fish this year I couldn't hardly tell my black pole from my white one by the end of it.
I'm actually surprised the reel on the black pole was still working like it was since it was so dirty.

Reactions: neophyte
#23 ·
holy crap look at all that water.

Lake Norman is like pretty legendary for bass fishing.
Lake Lure is where Junior Johnson used to go in his younger days to the summer time dances.

I'd wear out my truck and boat running from lake to lake.
that's insane.
do you have any dry land there?

#24 ·
Yes, there's lots of dry land around here...lol

Both are about an hour and a half from me, with Lake Norman (and it's connecting rivers) to the east and Lake Lure to the northwest. Lake James is northeast, and the trout rivers around South Mountain north northwest.

I'd love to hit any of the 3 lakes but without a boat it's tough to do. There aren't really enough good public shore fishing sites that I can get to easily that aren't over fished or crowded. And forget about using a canoe or kayak! Too many chances of getting run over.

If you, your truck and boat want to spend some of the winter months fishing around here just speak up. Be happy to have ya!

#26 ·
here's some of my fish pictures. I don't have much patience for rod & reel fishing anymore. I like to force feed them stainless steel.

Attachments

#30 ·
what,, he couldn't find his detonator box, and thought maybe you knew where it was?

I'd love to come out that way.
your water temps should be in the low to mid 50's right now.
versus mine which is the temperature of solid on top.
that is perfect trout fishing temp's BTW,
and if you get a nice sunny day in a backwater the crappie will start to get aggressive at around 55-58*.

remember Trout are a cold water fish and actually get more active in water temps that the green bass will start to become sluggish in.
but,, they both live in water.
both lakes and streams, I would bet a lot of people overlook fishing those lower elevation streams for Bass, and the access might be a lot easier on foot.

#31 ·
How do y'all stay warm fishing in the winter?

My dad is on the lake almost every day at sunrise unless it's too windy or foggy... or a full moon.

He use to complain about getting wet in the rain, I bought him a nice Frog Toggs motorcycle rain suit that took care of that, but at 84 years old the cold really gets to him. Yeah it does get cold in FL. it was around 38 this morning, weird cold front for a couple days.

He fishes from a 16' boat. Does anyone make a "safe" heater he could use on a boat?

#32 ·
I'm not sure there are any bass in the streams, but it might be fun to try my luck. I'd try for trout but first I need somebody to translate the NC regulations into trout fishing newbie. I do know the difference between live and artificial bait, and single vs. multiple hooks but beyond that? I'm clueless. :D

How do y'all stay warm fishing in the winter?

My dad is on the lake almost every day at sunrise unless it's too windy or foggy... or a full moon.

He use to complain about getting wet in the rain, I bought him a nice Frog Toggs motorcycle rain suit that took care of that, but at 84 years old the cold really gets to him. Yeah it does get cold in FL. it was around 38 this morning, weird cold front for a couple days.

He fishes from a 16' boat. Does anyone make a "safe" heater he could use on a boat?

I enjoy the cold to a point but keep an assortment of these in my bag if I'm going out in cooler weather.
https://www.amazon.com/HotHands-Hand-Body-Warmer-Variety/dp/B07BQS7CTP
They can get too hot if they're too close to my body but if I keep them wrapped in a dry towel in the small of my back I stay toasty for hours.

#33 ·
if it would have got up to 38 I would have went fishing today.

lets see 38,,
flannel jacket and sweat pants.
if it's breezy probably some cotton gloves.
if it's windy I wear something over the sweat pants.
if it's cold maybe some long johns, I'd have to consider a coat over the flannel shirt, around 10* and maybe a pair of coveralls.
you'd be surprised how effective a pair of cheap mechanic type coveralls are at holding in body heat with a half decent base layer.

#36 ·
not in actual counted years... LOL
maybe in miles though.

temperature is relative.
38 there is cold, 38 here is a nice day, unless the wind is out of the north in May.

the point is for him to layer up with an outer windproof layer in the morning.
the boat ride will suck the warmth right out of him, but by 10-11 your looking for shade and an ice cold drink.
being able to shed a few thinner items as the day goes on and having a place to stow them will be a lot easier than trying to wear a bulky coat until it's 50-60.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.