Your most embarrassing gun moment

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by BattleRifleG3, Sep 22, 2002.

1. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

How have you been humiliated in front of your guns?

A few weeks ago I brought my G3 to site in with GunGeek. We got targets ready, set up the sandbag, set up the spotting scope, had the ammo ready to load into the magazines, got the rifle out of the case...
    I looked in the ammo can. I looked in the rifle case. I looked on the bench. I checked all my pockets. And as I looked at GunGeek, he said "You forgot your mags, didn't you?"

2. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    done the foreget the mag thing. Figured I had gas and time invested so I single loaded them.

The most humiliating moment for me was when I first took my Ruger MarkII apart and had a heck of a time getting it back together. I thought I'd break out in hives! :)

3. tommy

tommy G&G Enthusiast

had my gun and forgot the ammo . luckly my sons friend was riding his atv and went home and got my ammo.

4. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

I'd have fired the G3 single shot but that's not good for G3s. That was part of the tragedy of it all. Had it been my SKS, 10-22, even my Garand, it would be fine.

5. When I was a kid, my dad took me deer hunting. We drove an old 1946 Ford truck wwaaaay out in the mountains. Finally got where we needed to be and realized we had left the ammo home. Except for my dad cussing under his breath, that was a long quiet ride home.

6. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

Better yet I was planning to head to the range and packed a few rifle to take with me so a friend could shoot a little I grabbed the AR out of the cabinet and a few mags and the AR went in its case . anyway when I get to the range low and behold I forgot the AR I had the mags, the ammo and no rifle -- but we still had fun with the other 3

7. Pumpkinheaver

Pumpkinheaver G&G Evangelist

I used to have a passion for woodchuck hunting. My standard armament was a heavy barrel 25-06 for long shots and a .22 mag for close shots. The 25-06 will work up close, but I shot a woodchuck at 15 yds with it and ended up getting covered with all sorts of exploding groundhog parts, pretty embarrasing. But that's not the worst part, I was in such a hurry to get home and cleaned up that I forgot my .22 mag. Luckily it was still there the next day when I finally remembered it.

8. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

Kimber Custom Royal. Total rookie to 1911's. Went to drop the hammer on it but my hands were sweaty down on the TX/MX broder. Sent a .45ACP + P 230gr thru my wifes new hardwood floor! She's still pissed! And we don't even live anywhere near there anymore!

9. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

When I was about 14 yrs old my dad, who had tried hard to teach my brother and I gun safety, came into our room and picked up our 22 rifle. He asked if it was unloaded and we said yes.

The next thing that happened was that he shot a hole in the plastered ceiling of our bedroom. Had some hard explaining to do that day but won't forget the lesson.
    OX

10. johno

johno Guest

i went shooting up in the hills last summer, and as my friend and i were packing up the guns to go home, i was checking the mags and chambers of all the weapons before we put them in the car. i discovered there was still a live round in my 12ga, so i walked down to the firing line where there were still about half a dozen people, help it in my right hand and fired. i'd forgotten how much the 12ga kicked, cause i dropped it and hurt my hand doing it. fortunately the shot went downrange.

11. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

At the range once, I had just finished sighting in a scope on a rifle. Finished, I had the rifle resting on the bags, and went to talk with a couple other guys. I soon heard that horrible clatter that means a gun fell to the concrete floor. Had to resight the scope again! Dang it, I hate when that happens.

12. Calvin

Calvin G&G Evangelist

Took my Glock 22 to the range one day to shoot IPSC. Got there and found out I had packed the mags for my Glock 19 by mistake. It was the shortest range time in my life......

13. When I was a young teenager, growing up in northeastern PA, my father, brother, my grandfather and I anxiously awaited the first day of buck season.

Even the snow blizzard couldn't dampen my enthusiasm.

We took our normal ride to a 'special' spot on the farm and I took up a spot on the upside of the wind and in the corner of a stone wall. Even with the huddle in the fence corner it was bitterly cold.

It seemed like hours and then I spotted four doe meandering across the field and jumped the stone wall less than 100 yards away.

Knowing buck often followed doe I waited. Then I say him......big deer.

I put the scope on him....yep....nice horns.....only wish it wasn't snowing so dang hard.

He turned sideways in preparation to leap the fence and I cut a round loose.

He went down immediately....good lung/heart shot. It was my first buck kill!

My dad came running and I proudly announced I had shot my first buck and he announced, standing at the deer, "You shot a doe you dumb chit!"

We went down to the PA Game Commission office and dad paid my fine for me so I could keep my license.

I didn't get a buck that year but I did get another doe....legally.

14. My worst experience was taking two individuals with me that I did bodyguard service for years ago to the gun range. One had never shot a gun before and the other once or twice in his whole life. They both smoked me on the range. I don't know what happened that day. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn even if I had been inside. I should have stayed home.

15. Accidently firing my Super Blackhawk inside my apartment. Good thing I lived upstairs and had the muzzle pointing up. When I say accidently I meant I was showing off my pistol to some freinds and we had already consumed a few brews. I am sure that contributed to a little hearing loss. Next day I got up on the roof and patched the hole. It's funny but there was never any complaints and the police never showed up.
    Lesson learned--never play with your gun while buzzed.

16. taras

taras Guest

it was'nt me

Similar thing happened to my buddy. He made a few blanks out of old 12 gauge shells. Had them in a box, but his mom found a few loaded shots laying around and put them in the same box. He was showing us the shots, in his house, saying he was going to use them to scare off vandals on halloween when the gun went off. It was one of the loaded shots. Made an awful hole in the ceiling!! You just shouldn't play with guns , and treat every one as if it is loaded cuz it just might be.

17. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

HAD TO THINK HARD FOR A WHILE

about the only thing i ever did, was in basic training, at the range. fired a shot and the M-14 didn't cycle, manually cycled the bolt, fired again, same thing, i did as was the custom, dropped the mag, cleared the weapon, set it in the cradle and raised my hand. after the firingline finished, it was alibis time. told the D.I. what happened he took one look, and opened the gas cylinder spindle valve which some how or other got closed!!! ready again to shoot, the D.I. told me to take a good foxhole position, keep my finger off the trigger, and hold on tight. he put his finger on the trigger, man it was like full-auto!!! naturally took an awful lot of ribbing from the D.I.'s and my platoon mates, lasted for days!!!

18. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

Really Bad Morning

:eek: I woke up one Sunday morning to find my car had a right front flat tire..I cussed and walked up to it and stepped in a big old pile of dog fertilizer that stunk to High Heaven..the instructions on the can of "Fix A Flat" said drive for 3-4 miles...I drove 4 miles...stopped in a gas station in a really bad neighborhood for $10 in gas and some air for my tire...while taking the cap off the valve stem I heard my car door open and shut..a transvestite hooker druggie was trying to steal my car..I had the keys in my pocket..but he/she/it (whatever) apparently thought I had left them in my car..I went running around the drivers side door he/she locked it and went out the passenger door grabbing my Club (steering wheel lock) and the empty can of "Fix A Flat" and started banging on the passenger window with the empty can in frustration...I unlocked my glovebox and got my .357 Smith out...I got out the driver side door and pointed the revolver at the would be car thief and told him/her/it to drop the club..He/she/it complied and turned tail and ran away in high heels and fishnet stockings (scairy that I should remember that)..the police showed up less than five minutes later..one of them got mad at me for not shooting..:fuss: I drove home and got back in bed..my wife came in and asked me what was wrong I told her "I'm going back to bed...I've had a really bad day..maybe it will be better if I start it over later on" :p :rolleyes: :nod:

19. I LEARNED FROM THAT

I NEVER HAD ANYONE TO TEACH ME GUN SAFTY AS A 14 YEAR OLD. HAVING READ A NUMBER OF GUN MAGAZINE STORIES ON GUN SAFTY AND TO ALWAYS CHECK THE CHAMBER I WAS SURE I WAS A SAFE GUN HANDLER. AS MY FIRST RIFLE WAS A 30/06 SPRINGFIELD I HAD FIRED ALMOST ALL THE AMMO I HAD WITH ME.I THOUGHT I WOULD SAVE ONE FOR LATER. WHEN I WALKED INTO THE HOUSE I PLACED MY RIFLE IN THE CORNER AND NOTICED I HAD NEGLECTED TO OPEN THE ACTION WHICH I HAD LEARNED WAS A NO NO. OUT CAME THE REMAINING LIVE SHELL. I TELL MY HUNTER SAFTY CLASSES THE STORY AND TELL THEM ALL MY GUNS ARE AS LOADED EVEN IF IN MY HANDS AND I HAVE JUST CHECKED THEM.

DANA

20. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

I had my Glock tucked in the back of my pants ht eother evening. I usually carry in a IWB when off duty, but I was in a hurry and broke a rule. When I got in the car I decided I would remove the polymer slingshot and place it on the seat next to me. I went for it without care and managed to grab the trigger with my "F#@K you finger." I was able to back off it just as the slack reached it's limit. Wife would have been pissed if I shot myself in the arse, let alone the thu and thru would have blown a nice hole in her floorboard!