Youth Rifle

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by Inthesouthwoods, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Inthesouthwoods

Inthesouthwoods G&G Regular

I'm looking to upgrade my daughter's hunting rifle. She has a rossi 223 now. I'm looking into getting her a 243 in either NEF single shot, Savage Edge, Remington 770 or a Marlin XL7. Has anyone tried any of these.My daughter is eight and looking forward to taking her first whitetail. I will also be reloading so if there are any pet loads for these rifles let me know.

2. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

I think the NEF would be a natural.

3. Sir Elwood

Sir Elwood G&G Newbie

I own a Marlin XS7 in 7mm08. It's been an impressive rifle and I'm glad I chose the marlin, but my weatherby vanguard .22-250 is nice too. You can't go wrong either way, honestly. The trigger on both of those two rifles I own is good, as well.

hope this helps out.

4. See what fits the child the best and which she feels more comfortable with

5. A Stevens 200 or a Marlin XL7 would be fine, if they fit her well. I personally don't really like the Savage Edge from the ones I've held at gunshops...the bolt is stiff and the safety is quite hard to operate. Maybe a broken in one would be better.

6. Browning

Browning G&G Newbie

I really think u should look into youth models.nothing wrong with the guns listed. But since it is for a YOUNG GIRL weight ans length should be looked at. and being the gun is for a girl, her arms will never be as long as us men. So I think she will apreciate the shorter gun for many years.

As far as loads go, I don't know if you are worried about recoil or not. but Hodgdon does list some loads useing trailboss and 100 grain Speer BTSP's for speeds rangeing from 1100-1600 fps. these loads give a muzzle report of a .22mag. and recoil of a .223 or less. but with the low speeds u greatly decrease ur efective range especialy for deer sized game.

I have tried the trailboss loads in my Browning BLR .243. I used 11 grains under the 100 grain Speers for an estimated MV of 1200-1300fps. I got .25-.5 inch groups at 50 yards.

But my favorite hunting load is 40 grains of IMR 4831 under a 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet. estimated MV is +/-2800fps. I get .75in groups at 100 yards with this load.

I've tried many different powders in the .243 cartrige. I have found that IMR 4831 and H4831SC works best. and my gun perfered speeds around 2800fps. with all powders and bullets.

Winchester Supreme Ballistic Tip factory ammo works great in all guns I have shot it in. but it comes at a pretty high price. leaves a good hole though.

7. Inthesouthwoods

Inthesouthwoods G&G Regular

Thanks everyone for the input. I've got until Christmas. I guess Santa may have to bring it for her. As for the loads. I've got some 780 Supreme. It's very close in burn rate with 4831 I may have to look up some loads for it.

8. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

It is more the weight and velocity of the bullet rather than powder that determines recoil.At 8yrs of age,I would think a .223 was about right.I don't think I would go bigger than .243win.They do have managed recoil ammo.I tried some.It seemed ok.Just don't outrange the power.

9. tws135boom

tws135boom G&G Newbie

FWIW, I purchased a Rem Model 7 for my wife last christmas. It was the synthetic model, came with a BSA 3-9x40. I think I paid 400, used gun but in excellent cond. The model 7 is based on the 700 but is 2 3/8" shorter. My wife really likes the gun, the only thing i have done to it is adjust the trigger pull. our of the box it was very tight and had a lot of over travel. Now it is light, around 3lbs and crisp as they come.