Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a yugo 8mm mauser m24/47 and I cannot get the safety to unlock. It is all the way to the left and I can't get the bolt to open or anything. It just seems all locked up. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks:bigeyes:

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
If the Safety is all the way to the Left, It is UNLOCKED, the safety cannot be moved if the firing pin is not cocked, so if the Bolt was closed with the trigger pulled, the Firing pin will be in the uncocked position. When you raise the bolt handle, the pin will cock, and then, and only then will the safety be movable...try spraying a light oil around the rear cocking mechanismand let it soak for a while...If there is some rust or corrosion in the bolt mechanism, that might hamper you opening the bolt...You may have to tap the bolt handle a bit with a block of wood...CAREFULLY...QUESTION...does it have aftermarket Scope mounts on it or ones jut installed ???
Rich

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks, you were right on the money. It was really rusty inside. The safety still doesn't want to move very well but I'll keep working on it. One more question, when the safety is all the way to the left and the gun is ready to fire can the safety be placed back on safe or does the bolt need to be pulled back? It has no scope mounts on it at all that I know of. Thanks again

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Yes, you can move the safety to all 3 positions when cocked, without opening the bolt again ! Clean and lightly oil the bolt parts good and you should be fine.
The reason I asked about scope mounts is , I have known more than one do-it your selfer that installed a set of scope mounts with the bolt in and did not trim the screws...Then wondered why the bolt was locked in place...I charge them DOUBLE to fix the situation !
Rich

1 - 5 of 5 Posts