close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Yugo m48 factory sights

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Terry Smith, Apr 14, 2002.

1. Terry Smith

Terry Smith G&G Newbie

With rear sight set at 100 meters, I am shooting
    about 7 inches high at 100 meters.
    I saw an add from Sarco that offers a tall front sight
    for Swede Mausers to corect the same problem.
    Has anyone seen the same offered for 98ks???

2. Hans R Colt

Hans R Colt G&G Newbie

Someone on this board filed down the height of the rear sight leaf about 1/32 of an inch, then filed the notch a little deeper, and this brought the shots down to the right spot at 100 yards;
    I forgot who it was.

Another mauserholic took a front sight from a Savage bolt rifle and filed it to fit his mauser...and that was calibrated for 100 yards...I read his post here, too.

Gun Parts Corporation sells the front sight when they have it in stock, so does the Sportsman's Guide.

3. Terry
    I have not seen any for the 98 but I have to ask. Are you holding a center mass shot placement or a six o'clock target aim?

4. Terry

From everthing that I have heard most of these rifles shot slightly high to begin with, especially if you use surplus ammo. I also have an M-48A as well as a model 98 Mauser. Check your rear site on the Yugo M-48A again, mine starts out at 200 meters. The Model 98 rear site starts out at 100 meters. With my Yugo I assume a six o'clock position and slightly left. at 50 and 75 yards this puts me right in the 9 and 10 ring. I sometimes draw a black mark (box) in the lower part of the target as a visual aim point. When I shot my model 98 I rest the Ball on the front site and I am in.

5. Terry Smith

Terry Smith G&G Newbie

Ok Guys,
    You shot clear over my head with center mass and 6 o'clock.
    If you have time could you please explain. I really would like to know!

Terry

6. 6 o' clock means that when you take up your site picture your target (circle) looks like it is sitting on top of your front site post. Some people explain it like a ball sitting on top of a stick. In center of mass with a bullseye type target your front site post is inside the circle aiming directly at the center of the target. Some people describe this as aiming in the black in reference to aiming within the scoring rings of the target. I hope this helps.

7. Terry Smith

Terry Smith G&G Newbie

Helps very much!!! Thanks for replying so quickly. I believe then
    that I wa shooting center mass of the target. I will probably shoot again this week and try all the suggestion that have been given. Looks like I'll have to order somemore S&B ammo real soon.This M48A is lots of fun to shoot, but not cheap.

Thanks again

Terry

8. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I had this problem with my M39 Mosin, and built up the front sight with JB-Weld, filed to shape. It's gun-metal grey, too. Should work fine on a Mauser.
    Only one of my Mausers shoots to point of aim @ 100 yards. The other three all shoot high.