Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a new unissued yugo M48 mauser....this rifle was properly stripped, cleaned and lubed...including bolt assembly.

after shooting my rifle, i am unable to pull the bolt handle up and back.

i had this rifle for two years now and finally shot it last week. kinda late to send back for warranty.

according to info off the net...this isnt an isolated incident.

any suggestions?

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,016 Posts
Not to be considered insulting - just trying to help - but is the safety turned to the right? I've seen this happen. In this position, the bolt cannot be turned. Make sure it is turned to the left.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
I've never ran into that kinda problem with my 48A or any mauser I have, for that matter.

Risking sounding insulting (can you gramatically put three words ending in ING in a row?) myself, is there a chance the bolt was reassembled incorrectly?

From taking mine apart many times I can't see even getting it to fire if it wasn't but, then again, I'm no gunsmith by any stretch of the imagination.

Whenever I fire Wolf copper cased ammo in my Mosins I have had to take my leather working plastic mallet (which I carry to the range now) and tap the bolt open from ammo expansion seize. That might be a thought, too.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
3 words ending in ING? whats that got to do with my mauser?

how bout

f*cking
killing &
Stalking?

good enough for you?

lay off the Bong man, its messing with your brain cells:)
in other words, make sense when u talk.

sorry, i dont speak jibberish.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I think Dale was referring to his "risking sounding insulting...."

Those are three words ending in "ing" in a row. He was asking if he was gramatically correct in using them back to back.

He then passed on some valuable info to you regarding Mausers...

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Tis OK *1, I'm assuming by his ':)' in his reply he was just joshing. I can't see anyone being so arrogant to 'slap' someone trying to help them.

Besides, I figure, if he was serious by his slams then nothing I could say could speak louder about him than his own remarks, if you get my drift....yepper.....fer sure! :)

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I had a suggestion for you about the problem but after your little tantrum, go look elsewhere for the answer. It might be jibberish to you.

·
Registered
347 Posts
AkJunkie
Were you able to extract and eject the spent case? If not sometimes there is some build up of cosmoline in the chamber, even after a good cleaning. When it's fired the residue becomes like concrete. I have had to use a rubber mallet to open the bolt after firing some of the Russian steel cased ammo. They have the lacquer coating that becomes liquid at firing and then hardens.
I have a VZ24 that the bolt had to be opened with the same rubber mallet. The rifle had the wrong firing pin and cause it to bind. A local gunsmith cured the problem.
Good Luck,
Indy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts