Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished converting my Yugo M59/66 in to a Fine looking, lighter US Made Rifle: Tapco T6 (black), US gas piston, US Operation Rod, US Muzzle brake, US 20 Rd Magazines. Grenade Launcher is gone, Bayonet is gone (just finished dremmeling out the Bayo Lug - I can hear all the purists screaming), night sights and Grenade "Ladder" sight removed. I replaced the original sights with Williams Firesights and installed an NCStar Holographic red/green dot sight on the gas tube cove rail. The leather sling was falling apart, so I bought one made of nylon.
I would like to blue the bayonet lug area, any advice on what to get or what not?
And then, how important is to keep the cleaning rod. In it's new configuration, when I took it to the range, the rod keeps coming out of it's place. I know that you have to remove it in order to strip-field the rifle. Does it actually hold something inside? I don't even use it to clean the gun, I have my own kit(s) and their parts aren't compatible with that rod. If I remove it for good, is the rifle going to fall apart on me?
Thanks.

·
Registered
129 Posts
so sad another sks died cause somebody wanted a "US" gun... and btw if you can do that to your gun you should know that the cleaning rod is not a part of the gun that makes it go bang lol....

p.s. next time buy a ar15

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,360 Posts
Well, it IS his gun, and Yugos aren't rare collector's items.

Might as well remove the cleaning rod - I never use them either. Too short to do a decent job cleaning.

Got a pic of the gun in it's new clothes? :)

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I agree with Big Dog. While I'd be totally against chopping up a collector's item, many many mil-surp rifles (in my opinion) are not in this category. I don't think it's right to chastize the guy for something he did to HIS gun. Would everyone have done it? No. At least he's not a left wing wanting to literally butcher all guns, then melt them down and make a statue of Hilary.

This is going to get off topic now, but think about this. If we all start crap like this between ourselves, who will we unite with when someone tries to enact a gun control law? The ppl we need to argue with are not on these forums...

(sorry for the hijack... not trying to start anything bad, just venting :) )

·
Premium Member
30,670 Posts
i got 2 nice ones that im not going to do anything to.but lets see what you did to yours! now im curious. as long as you like it thats all that matters! i am a firm believer in if you paid for it you can chop that thing into shavings for all i care.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I WILL...
My rifle and myself know that what counts in this war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. WE WILL HIT...
My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will ever guard it against the ravages of weather and damage as I will ever guard my legs, my arms, my eyes and my heart against damage. I will keep my rifle clean and ready. We will become part of each other. WE WILL...
Before God, I swear this creed. My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. WE ARE THE SAVIORS OF MY LIFE.
So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but peace!:AR15firing:

Will get y'all some pixs.

AR15 = $$$ for a poodle-shooter. Thanks but no thanks. And I do know that the cleaning rod does not make the gun work, at least not in the way someone means; my question goes to the fact that it might be holding some parts together, as if it is important to keep it there. I like the yugo, since I believe that chrome lined barrels take from accuracy. I clean my rifle very often. Ammowise, for SHTF I use Lapua b'cause I like consistency. For the range, whatever I get. I bough the rifle to use the platform. Perhaps some people should create some PETA style organization to prevent people from manipulating their personal property.

·
36,360 Posts
Most folks don't realize the bayonet puts a bit of tension on the cleaning rod, helping to keep it in place. Remove the bayo - the cleaning rod can slip loose and come out. I've found a few lost at our range.
The rod isn't needed to secure anything - so no problem removing it.

My Yugo M59/66 was used in Mr. Clinton's Dirty Little War - having provenance, I wouldn't alter it. But the new unissued guns? Good material for modding, as long as Sec. 922(r) is kept in mind! :)

·
Premium Member
30,670 Posts
spooky lookin weapon you got there! well if your gonna do it ,may as well do it right! looks good to me:scool:

·
Registered
101 Posts
where'd ya get that mag? I like it. I bought a 30 and a 20 rd from national magazine and the walls on the 30 bulged at 19 rds in and became useless. The 20 tries to run every other round thru the receiver ring at the bottom of the feed ramp.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
That's the new 20 rounder from TAPCO (USA). I hear nothing but good reviews about them, and they're really good looking. I've used FMJ, JHP and softpoints with them and I've had 0 problems (I didn't have any problem with the 10rd fixed, so I guess the rifle is just good).
The only problem I have now, to be honest, is to find a carrier for the loaded mags, the "duck bills" don't help much. Carrying spares has always been my problem. Even with the stripper clips, when loaded, wouldn't fit in those twin leather ammo pouches that came with the rifle. I'll find the way.:smoker:

BTW, I've just finished retouching all the metal with Super Blue. Now's looking even[glow=2]BETTER[/glow]

·
Registered
101 Posts
not to make another shameless plug on this sight but I have a project in the works that will make carrying extra ak and sks mags easier.

·
36,360 Posts
Check your "Army Surplus" stores for a French Wine Bottle pouch - neat bag. Has a shoulder strap, two small pouches - one each side. Holds three 30-round SKS mags side-by-side. I fitted mine with a sewn-on dual-Alice clip attachment. I'm ready to roll. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts