Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to SKS, bought an unissued M59/66 locally, and have been searching the 'net for as much info as I can get.

One site had an exploded view which showed a gas piston spring, yet when I was disassembling/cleaning mine, I found no such spring.

Am I missing a necessary part?

Any info appreciated. TIA

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I have no idea what part you saw. The gas system is all standard except the 3 position gas valve, and modified cylinder. The other parts that are different from the standard Russian pattern are the grenade launcher, grenade launcher sight, and long bayonet.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Parts ID

The site (nameless) showed and listed a piston, piston extension, and piston return spring. My 59/66 has one long piston which runs inside the handguard channel...but no "extension" or "spring". Could this be the parts list for a different variant, say a Russion or Chinese?

·
Banned
548 Posts
I would go to Palidan Press and buy the SkS manual. It tells you everything that you need to know about disassembly, maintaining it, sighting it in, etc. . You cannot go wrong. It was only $15.00 .

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Roger. The area below the rear sight.

Looks like getting a good, detailed manual is the best way to go.

I like to know as much about a weapon as I can before firing it...safety first!

Thanx to all for the info.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
35,663 Posts
Just be careful removing the short rod and spring from the rear sight housing. It's under pressure, and will launch. Luckily I found mine the first time I let it fly.
The Yugo also has a small spring under the gas valve button, in case you ever have to dismantle the valve. The button just lifts out, when in the topmost/rearmost position.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Understood. Happened to me first time I disassembled the bolt in my Garand...ejector and spring went ballistic in spite of my efforts ( based on warning from Charles' M1 site ) and left a mark in the wallboard. A real bugger to get back in too.

Off to get an SKS User manual.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts