close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Yugo M59/66 ques

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by JoeInCT, Aug 8, 2002.

1. New to SKS, bought an unissued M59/66 locally, and have been searching the 'net for as much info as I can get.

One site had an exploded view which showed a gas piston spring, yet when I was disassembling/cleaning mine, I found no such spring.

Am I missing a necessary part?

Any info appreciated. TIA

2. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

I have no idea what part you saw. The gas system is all standard except the 3 position gas valve, and modified cylinder. The other parts that are different from the standard Russian pattern are the grenade launcher, grenade launcher sight, and long bayonet.

3. Parts ID

The site (nameless) showed and listed a piston, piston extension, and piston return spring. My 59/66 has one long piston which runs inside the handguard channel...but no "extension" or "spring". Could this be the parts list for a different variant, say a Russion or Chinese?

4. I would go to Palidan Press and buy the SkS manual. It tells you everything that you need to know about disassembly, maintaining it, sighting it in, etc. . You cannot go wrong. It was only $15.00 .

5. giguy

giguy G&G Newbie

the piston extension spring and piston extension are in the receiver part not the handguard part

6. Roger. The area below the rear sight.

Looks like getting a good, detailed manual is the best way to go.

I like to know as much about a weapon as I can before firing it...safety first!

Thanx to all for the info.

7. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Just be careful removing the short rod and spring from the rear sight housing. It's under pressure, and will launch. Luckily I found mine the first time I let it fly.
    The Yugo also has a small spring under the gas valve button, in case you ever have to dismantle the valve. The button just lifts out, when in the topmost/rearmost position.

8. Understood. Happened to me first time I disassembled the bolt in my Garand...ejector and spring went ballistic in spite of my efforts ( based on warning from Charles' M1 site ) and left a mark in the wallboard. A real bugger to get back in too.

Off to get an SKS User manual.

9. Thanx, K. Very helpful.