Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went to a local shop looking for a Kar98k but all of the ones they had there had forced match bolts and there was one Yugo that stood out with matching bolt, receiver, and stock. It had "Preduzece 44" on it and it looked like a very clean rifle. This one had a straight bolt and there was another one there that had a curved bolt. Is that common? They were asking $225 for the one I was interested in and I asked one of the guys there if they would take $150 for it but he said that the manager probably wouldn't. How much are these rifles worth? The store felt very overpriced with a Chinese SKS on consignment for $499 and their forced match Kar98k's for $325-375.

What do you guys think? Is it worth it or should I walk away? How much should I offer him?

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Sounds a bit overpriced to me. Around here, Big5 has M24-47's and occasionaly M-48's on sale for around $100. The Yugo's are good guns, but not that good unless they have some collector value.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I think I agree with you toolman, I've been doing some research as far as the going price is concerned on them and I definitely don't want to get caught paying that much for one.

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
I paid $59 last year for one covered in cosmoline. Its like new under all the grease.

·
Registered
691 Posts
A straight bolt handle is NOT original on a Prod 44! That rifle is nothing but a K98k made after the Germans were run out.
With that in mind it is way over priced!
Sarge

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A straight bolt handle is NOT original on a Prod 44! That rifle is nothing but a K98k made after the Germans were run out.
With that in mind it is way over priced!
Sarge
I asked the guy who worked there about it and it was clear he had no idea what he was talking about. I don't know too much about mausers and he said the bolt was matching and showed me the numbers. Oh well, I've already walked away. Thanks for the advice everyone! The hunt continues...

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
preduzece k98's were not made after the germans left, they were taken as war reparations. the straight bolt handle isnt normal, but these rifles were used, and maintained by the yugos so any parts are possible.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have 3 Yugoslovian M48s and they have the bent bolt handle. I have 1 24/47 Yugo and it has the straight bolt handle. The cost of these rifles is increasing here and the going price is around $225. I'll buy any M48 with matching numbers and a good bore I can find for $150. I paid $169 for 2 of my M48s and I figure I got a bargain. All 3 of my M48s are almost perfect and the metal on the 24/47 is the same.

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
All I can say is this. Whatever you guys pay in the south or towards the west, we in the North will more than likely be paying double. And that's the truth...lol. That is unless you have an FFL or C&R.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Thats too bad.
I feel for ya, and at the same time consider myself very lucky to live here with my habit! haha.
Get your C&Rs Northerners!! :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts