Gun and Game Forum banner

Yugo Mauser

8K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  roysclockgun 
#1 ·
I just went to a local shop looking for a Kar98k but all of the ones they had there had forced match bolts and there was one Yugo that stood out with matching bolt, receiver, and stock. It had "Preduzece 44" on it and it looked like a very clean rifle. This one had a straight bolt and there was another one there that had a curved bolt. Is that common? They were asking $225 for the one I was interested in and I asked one of the guys there if they would take $150 for it but he said that the manager probably wouldn't. How much are these rifles worth? The store felt very overpriced with a Chinese SKS on consignment for $499 and their forced match Kar98k's for $325-375.

What do you guys think? Is it worth it or should I walk away? How much should I offer him?

#7 ·
A straight bolt handle is NOT original on a Prod 44! That rifle is nothing but a K98k made after the Germans were run out.
With that in mind it is way over priced!
Sarge

#8 ·
A straight bolt handle is NOT original on a Prod 44! That rifle is nothing but a K98k made after the Germans were run out.
With that in mind it is way over priced!
Sarge
I asked the guy who worked there about it and it was clear he had no idea what he was talking about. I don't know too much about mausers and he said the bolt was matching and showed me the numbers. Oh well, I've already walked away. Thanks for the advice everyone! The hunt continues...

#12 · (Edited)
I have 3 Yugoslovian M48s and they have the bent bolt handle. I have 1 24/47 Yugo and it has the straight bolt handle. The cost of these rifles is increasing here and the going price is around $225. I'll buy any M48 with matching numbers and a good bore I can find for $150. I paid $169 for 2 of my M48s and I figure I got a bargain. All 3 of my M48s are almost perfect and the metal on the 24/47 is the same.

#21 ·
The majority of the battlefield pick-up K98k, even with bringback papers have m/m bolts. Anyone just getting into the hobby, or just wanting a representative WWII K98k would not go wrong by getting a reasonably priced Yugo remarked K98k or the rebuilt Soviet capture pieces. The good news is, one can always later use those pieces for trade goods, as prices are not going to come down. The numbers of true K98k rifles produced from the mid 1930s to 1945, is finite. Whether they are mixmasters or not will determine where they fall in pricing, but all will rise in value very quickly, as we get closer to 2014 and the focus will be both on WWI and on WWII, with movies and mini-series depicting those struggles.
IMO a very good Yugo rework/remark will fetch $225 easily on today's market. When Century first released those a number of years ago, they were priced at $150 to registered licensees.
Both the M24/47 and M48 have shorter actions. No?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.