Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am rather Mauser illiterate, and was curious about the different Mausers. I've heard of both "large ring" and "small ring" guns as well as Spanish, Turk, Swede, Yugo, Chezk, and of course German. And I am sure there are others. My question is, "are there significant differences in the actions regarding bolts, scope mounts, calibers, and aftermarket stocks. I am considering sportsterizing at least 1 or 2 and the Yugo's are cheaper and more plentiful around here. As far as I know not many people here in South Alabama use Mausers for hunting, and I'm thinking it may be because they don't know What a good gun they are.
:feedback:

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
What's a "cruffler"? Sounds like some kind of pastry...
It's a guy who collects C&R guns. Most of these guys get pretty anal about keeping them all original no matter how crappy they are to begin with.

Don, the Yugo's are great guns but the action is a bit shorter than a standard large-ring. Scope mounts for a M-48 or 48A will fit a 24-47 as the Yugo's are normally the same length action.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
The rifle that Don Buildt

It's a guy who collects C&R guns. Most of these guys get pretty anal about keeping them all original no matter how crappy they are to begin with.
I run into these folks from time to time. There is always this persistant question for them, "How much can you devalue a hundred dollar rifle?"

The large ring mausers and Turk mauser have the longer length actions. Some Turks may not be totally square. The barrel may run to one side or another.
There is plenty of sporter stocks out there for the 98s. Also there are High Dollar Stocks available too. Check Midway.
The Yugos, well, Boyd's Gun Stocks are the only place I know to get a sporter other than butchering a mil stock.

Building a personal custom is always a labor of love.
Have fun.
Yo! If your building a big caliber say 30-06, 270 308, stick with the 98s, they can vertually be used for most calibers even some magnums.
If youre building something smaller, say, 22-250, 243 6.5x55 7x57 you can go with a small ring 93, 95 or 96.
any questions? Feel free to post em.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,459 Posts
The basic Model '98 ("large ring") action has three action lengths. One must make sure to get the stock that fits the action. Stocks to fit the 'Intermediate length' Yugo action are listed as such.
The other matter to be aware of is the bolt handle. Straight handles must be bent down for scope clearance, and even most military 'bent' bolt handles are the wrong angle, and will hit the scope. This adds cost to the conversion.
I've seen some superb military Mausers made into custom hunting rifles - but it isn't cheap to do it right.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. I'll soon be opening my shop where I plan to do basic service at first, and then expand as opportunity allows. One thing I plan to do is build a couple of guns for my self, just to show what can be, if a person uses his imagination. I thought Mausers or Mosins might be a good place to start. Again, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
if your considering doing this for a hobby, and a business you need to pick up jerry kunhausens manual on mausers. it will cover 99% of what a mauser novice needs to know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts