close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Yugo Model 59

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by BattleRifleG3, Apr 4, 2002.

1. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Different Models

I was wondering if anyone could help with the terminology of SKS models. I saw a Yugo M59 on Centerfire that looked just like a Romanian, Norinco, or Russian (at least in design), and wonder if it's essentially the same thing. I've seen different numbers associated with SKSs, like 45, 59/66 (Yugo with grenade launcher), and wonder what means what. Especially with compatibility issues.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2002
  2. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Battle, the 59 stands for the year it was adopted. The 59/66 means it was accepted as a modified 59, because of the grenade launcher, in 1966. The Yugo M59 is the rarer of the SKS versions.
    As far as the Chinese Type 45, it's based on the model year, also. The SKS, as we know it, has not changed since 1945. Their Type 56 (AKM) was for the year the AKM was adopted.
    And, same with the Mosin-Nagants. M91 was adopted in 1891. The 91/30 was an M91 that was modified in 1930 (shorter barrel, and different sights for the then-new round for them).
    HTH

3. BattleRifleG3

I can see a distinct difference in the gas block on the Yugo, but do you mean that a Chinese gas tube and piston would fit?

As far as the Yugo 59, would you say it's of any particularly good quality? OhioOrdnance says the condition is NRA good. My primary concern is safety, next is reliability, next is accuracy. Appearance doesn't mean jack squat as long as it's safe, feeds straight and shoots straight.

4. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

After looking at mine, the pistons will not interchange. And as far as the M59 goes, they are as good as any other SKS. The M59 is going to probably be the rarest SKS available. There were only a very few made. My M59 shoots like a champ, and the reliability is just as it should be. If you're thinking of getting one, better do it soon, because these M59's will not be around much longer. HTH, and let me know if you get one.

5. BattleRifleG3

The big question is will the M59 take the US made piston from Tapco, which presumably fits the Norinco? In my case, I'm looking for a project shooter, not a collector's item, so interchangeability is the most important thing.