Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just picked up a Yugo SKS at a local gun shop for $195.00. It's in good shape. Doesn't look like it's never been fired. Some of the bluing seems worn, but nothing shiny really showing. The tag on the trigger says Norinco, but it's stamped under the barrel "SKS 7.62mm Yugoslav OOW Chardon, OH" which I assume is the import stamp. I guess the owner didn't know what he had. Anyway, it has the blade bayonet, and grenade launching sight. Wood isn't too bad. A couple of dings here and there. It had some sticker on the buttstock with a number on it which I'm not sure why it was there. It came off easy enough. It has two white dots on the dovetail rear sight, and a small flip up front sight that obscures the normal front sight when up. It also has a white dot on it. I'm wondering what this is for, and if its original or some sort of aftermarket thing. I was also curious as to how the grenade launching sight worked. Not that I'm going to launch any grenades, even if I had them. It doesn't seem to have any kind of rear sight assembly to be used with it like the volley sight on the P14 Enfield. It also has what looks like an aftermarket rubber butt plate. Probably going to look into replacing that with a correct one. Anyway, I'll keep you posted when I take it to the range. Looks like it should be a good shooter.

Update: Checked the forums, and found the link to Yooper's sight on dating the SKS. It has an I prefix which means it was made in 1972(same year as me....). It also links you to another site which talks about night sights. So, that answers one of my original questions.

·
Banned
882 Posts
The rifle you have is box stock. the flip up white dot sights are glow in the dark sights. take a flashlight to 'em in the dark. The rubber butt pad is stock issue. Keep 'er the way she is and go do some shootin.

·
Registered
659 Posts
love my sks at 100 yards its dead on who woulda figgerd a 100.00 gun could impress me so much i wouldnt part with it for 500.00 now hope you have good luck with yours

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to leave it as-is. Does that price sound good. It's not in pristine condition, but its not a junker either. I'll report back to you after I take it out to the range.

·
Registered
159 Posts
prices are different in different areas

$195 for a Yugo seems a little high though, especially if it is not in Excellent/Unissued condition. I paid about $175 for mine in Excellent/Unissued condition less than two months ago. Aim has them now for $149, but then you have to pay shipping plus FFL fee unless you have a C&R.

The going price for a used one in very good condition as you describe is probably $110 to $150, again depending on locale and market conditions.

Jay1958

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Guns in general are on the rise and the SKS is no exception. 190-200 seems to be the going right for the new, unissued. IF yours is used, I'd say it is a tad high, but those guns last forever, so no biggy.

·
Registered
417 Posts
that rifle looks to be unissued(cant really tell) but its got a couple dings...of course what do you expect when you ship a boxload of them from yugoslav in a wooden crate

·
Registered
630 Posts
I got mine from a friend brand new, but he fired 30 rounds out of it to see what he thought about the rifle. then he sold it to me for $175 instead of $200. I guess it was a good deal.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts