Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went shootin' this mornin'. Stopped off at Bojangles's for a couple of biscuits and gravy to go. Set up the shootin' table and chair and opened the bag. 2 biscuits & gravy, ZERO forks or spoons. Should'a took it as an omen. Used my knife for silverware.

I came to zero the 8 mm Mauser. Set up at 50 yards to get started. Got it out and fired 3 rounds. 2 1/2 inch group. 5" low. Added a few clicks of elevation. Fired 3 more. 2" high same grouping.

Couple of clicks down. Fired 3 more. One was 6" left, one was 3" high and right, one was at the bottom of the target.

Scope and everything else is tight. New Tasco Golden Antler scope. I've used Tasco scopes for years and never had issues. The ammo is 150 grain handloads, but they shoot fine in Mausers I have used in the past. I've had bad days at the range before, but not this bad. <G>

Pulled out an AR-15 I needed to zero. 3 rounds, 3/4 inch group, 2" low. Couple of clicks in elevation. 7 rounds, 1 hole about the size of a dime. (knew it wasn't me).

·
Premium Member
9,653 Posts
Only thing I can think of is if the Crown has issues at exit of barrel. Other than that maybe the scope base? Is rifle drilled and tapped or is it the rear sight scope adaptor as it could be moving? Also is both the Action screws tight to stock.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Everything seems tight. I'll pull it out of the stock and check for a crack. I'll also check out the rifling at the end of the bore. I just got it back from a gunsmith that drilled and tapped it. He also mounted the scope base and rings. He installed the scope also. He also had the bolt rebent, and cut the groove in the stock to adapt to the newly bent bolt.

Think I'll scrounge up a box of commercial ammo with a heavier bullet, and try that.

Thanks for the ideas on what to check.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It does have the locking screws. I'll check that everything is tight when I go over it.

Reactions: jwrauch

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
something come loose or broke.
guns don't suddenly shoot wild unless you lead/copper up the barrel, have a screw come loose, or the scope went to pot.

·
Registered
15,382 Posts
Thanks for reminding me to leave the original sights well be.

Edit.

In my earlier days. Some rifles shot better groups with open sights than scoped.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found 2 screws on the rear of the mount that tightened some when tried. Probably what caused the scatter of bullets. Hope to try again soon.

·
Premium Member
5,413 Posts
I've had similar problems with scopes I've recently mounted. the medium strength Locktite (the one that allows disassembly) Is good to use.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Took this rifle to the Gun Doctor yesterday. Took him a box of bullets. He want's to figure it out. I'll let you know what he finds.

Reactions: mauser9
1 - 11 of 11 Posts